Profile Picture

55 Tbird convt. top.

Posted By 55charliebird 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
What a piece of work this thing is.  it is the most miserable piece of hardware I've ever had to handle. It definitely is a two man job to raise or lower it.  TWO man, not husband and wife job.  I have taken it off and put the hardtop back on.  A lot easier to get in and out of the car.  I had a 67 Vette and the top was a one person job...very easy.  Since i'm not expecting this car to be a show stopper, I've got a good mind to sell the top and all the frames that go with it.  Am I the only one who has trouble with the top?
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
My experience is about the same as yours. Just an antiquated design not done very well even for its time. In an emergency, I can put mine up alone, but it’s not pretty. Getting the adjustment from the swing arm up to the final top position is critical, and takes a lot of playing around as the front/back adjustment on each side makes you go back to the other side. You’ve got to be patient and sneak up on it. Getting the side clamps out, and not stuck under the top is always an issue for me. I just consider it a “come home”option, and once it goes down in the summer it only goes back up in the garage with help before I leave. But given I’m in Seattle, I’ve been caught and needed to get it up, and I can. In the fall it goes down and the hardtop goes on.

I’ve got a late model top with early model rear hold downs on my 55. Previously I had a Prestige sort of repop top. It didn’t look as good, didn’t fit quite as well, but it was lighter and easier to manage. I’m not sure my upgrade was worth it. It’s got to have been 10-12 years ago, but my frame with usable vinyl and a pretty yellow window was $2500 + the ride then. I’m sure it’s more now.

FWIW, if I keep my mouth under control, my wife can help me get it up and down. I just need to make sure my frustration at the car isn’t something she thinks is directed at her.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
slumlord444
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
You said you have a late model top? '56 or '57? It's my understanding that the later tops where better. I have an orginal '57 top that I have never re done and put on the car. Not sure from what you said that I really want to bother with it. I take the hard top off in the spring and put it back on in the winter. Actually I haven't put it on since I restored the car a couple of years ago.
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

I don’t know if the early and late tops were a mid year or model year change. I know from someone knowledgeable mine is a late top. I switched the rear hold downs to match my deck fittings (took them off the Prestige unit), but kept the larger side and front handles due to my old hands. I’m not much of a restoration guy.

If I did mine again I’d spend more time aligning the bare frame, probably with new weatherstrip, before I had the top canvas done. My guys did ok, but I’d also go find someone who had done the early birds before. My car has some body issues (like a 56 rear quarter and door jamb that was brazed on 1/4” low at the tail light), so the shimming of the rubber and alignment of the top is a bit difficult.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

I got a 56 Bird with the conv top and agree with you to a point.  Yes they are hard to put up but I do it by myself.  What I do is get inside the car, sitting on the seat and pull the top over me.  That's if I have it sitting baby carriage style on the rear deck.  If it's stowed, it really is difficult for one person - if home I have my wife help me, and like miker it helps if i hold off on my comments.

The newer top cam out in 56.It had an extra brace to prevent sag over the window.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

55charliebird
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
It is a 55 year top, the car was  mfg'd in May of 56.  I don't know if you would call it an early 55 or a late 55.  Anyway the top is a piece of work....early or late!  Since the car is not show quality, i'd dump the top.....keep the hardtop on it......install a/c.....and call it a day.
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Start a new post before you buy the a/c. Ask me how I know.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

To me, there is nothing like a nice drive with the top down -  on any convertible.

55charliebird (8/20/2018)
It is a 55 year top, the car was  mfg'd in May of 56.  I don't know if you would call it an early 55 or a late 55.  Anyway the top is a piece of work....early or late!  Since the car is not show quality, i'd dump the top.....keep the hardtop on it......install a/c.....and call it a day.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter