Profile Picture

Best option for 55 T-Bird front disc brakes?

Posted By ogasman 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Upgrading the drive train on the T-Bird.   What is the best option for front brakes?  I know Wilwood has a kit.  Drop em and Stop em has two options.  One with Granada single piston calipers, and one with newer (1995) Mustang dual piston calipers.  I am leaning toward the Mustang kit.  Anybody use any of these?  Any other good options out there?  Street driven car with a strong Y-Block under the hood when finished.

Thanks
Paul
Lou
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
other options, hard brake linings and a brake booster, a lot cheaper and stop better than disks

Rono
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Paul; I've installed 2 Drop and Stop Kits in our 56 Fords. Both with the Granada spindles. One with a 2.5" drop and one with a 1.5" drop. I don't know what the Mustang Kit has in the way of a "Drop" or if you want any drop on your T-Bird. I was happy with both kits. My Customline and the wife's Ranch Wagon stop great with light pedal pressure. Good luck with whatever you decide. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

dbird
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

I used Scarebird in my 55, a couple of issues initially, but 6,000 trouble-free so far.  Lincoln rotors, C10 calipers.  I don't know about the others you listed, but many of the kits won't work with original wheels, center holes are too small.  I have American mags so it wasn't a problem.

Don
55 'Bird, 56 F100
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
The disc on the front of my 55 bird came from one of the ‘bird suppliers in 1999. They are a custom bracket, an early Fairlane caliper, and a Granada rotor. The rotor hub is turned down to fit early wheels. I used a power booster, front brakes only, and a dual cylinder, all part of the kit. I think there were new rear brake cylinders to improve brake balance.

The spacer moved the wheel out about 1/8”, which was not a problem. They work, they’re not great. I’ve got a car with Wilwood brakes and another with Buick finned drums. Those are great. But unless you’re running canyon roads I don’t think you’ll see the difference. I’d still go with the more modern parts if the cost was reasonable.

My rear disc are late Mustang units and I wouldn’t do that again. I’d do the self adjusting parts on the rear drums and put good linings on.

Depends where you're headed. Good drums are fine for a couple hard stops, then fade becomes a problem. If it’s in traffic, just adjust your driving. Finding a shop to arc the shoes can be a problem in a lot of place, and if the shoes don’t match the drums that’s another issue.

Up here we have a “dogs and cats” rally. The local solid axle Vette club invites other older cars along. Modifications allowed. You’ll need the disc, and maybe a lot of money for the police and your insurance company to be a big dog.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
312YBlock
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

I got a disk set up for my 55 T-Bird from Bob Walker, Thunderbirds One in Gastonia, NC 704 867-5557/800 762-0057. Bob distributes the kits to Tbird parts suppliers. It’s an early Mustang setup and works great. Bob’s a real gentleman and extremely knowledgeable.

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 2:33:46 AM
[quote][b]Lou (8/12/2018)...hard brake linings and a brake booster, a lot cheaper and stop better....

I was under the impression that softer lining material, though not as durable, actually worked better initially (?). Maybe also because it wears in sooner if the linings are not perfectly arched when installed (?)
Too me, the definition of “stopping better” would include ‘straighter’, since ‘fade’ & ‘water-related’ issues are usually the last thing on your mind as you are swerving all over the road in a panic stop! The inability to contemporarily duplicate the performance of originally-delivered factory drum systems is (IMO) likely the major incentive for disk conversion.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
Kahuna
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
"The inability to  duplicate the performance of originally-delivered factory drum systems is (IMO) likely the major incentive for disk conversion. "
I agree with this statement completely.
Why not do a complete overhaul of the drum system, add self adjusting mechanism to all 4 wheels, then add a booster, if you want a lighter pedal?
Jim
GREENBIRD56
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I think it boils down to a couple of issues - serviceability and performance upgrade. I had the ugly task of servicing several sets of family owned drum brake outfits over the years - starting with a '58 scrub sedan, Grandpa's 56 ford and Pop's 50 Merc, maybe some others owned by friends along the way - and my own '57 scrub sedan. Pains in the neck - and very short lived compared with later model discs and pads. Did the drums stop? Yes. Would they tolerate multiple panic stops, riding the pedal, immersion and other inventive treatments delivered by my mom,sister and other relatives? Nope.
The discs have always been easier to service, inspect and repair on daily drivers - and over the years I'd say much better life with the same sort of operator mistreatment. And.... if you were looking to upgrade your own outfit for performance purposes - such a thing was possible without a lot of un-sprung weight (like fitting giant parts off a Lincoln or other vehicle).

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

Reading This Topic

Site Meter