Profile Picture

Vapor lock issues

Posted By Mortimer452 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Been driving my 1956 Mercury Monterey (312ci) around quite a bit this summer.  On hot days, I have vapor lock issues.  Drives fine for about as long as I want it to, but after I turn it off, after it sits for 10 minutes or so, it won't start back up until it's cooled down.  It never gets too hot while driving - my temp gauge is only "C" and "H" but it never goes past the halfway mark in normal driving, even in sweltering hot weather.

My remedy so far has been to pour a small amount of fuel down the throat of the carb - I can hear it hiss and boil when I do this.  Pour a little, start it up, runs for a few seconds and dies . . . repeat 2-3 times and it'll finally start and keep running, then I'm good for the trip home.

I've troubleshooted and fixed vapor lock on other cars in the past, but still pretty new to the Y-block.  Original Holly teakettle carb, do I need a spacer between the carb and intake maybe?  Any common areas to check?  Thanks!
Dobie
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
You need to insulate the carb from the intake manifold. A phenolic spacer will do the trick, 1/2" thick will probably suffice but 1" is better if you can close the hood on it.
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
might want to look into this

http://www.coolcarb.com/index.html

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

62bigwindow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
My car does the same thing but not as severe. Opening the hood a little when you park it helps. I put in a 1/2" phenolic spacer and that helped too. The next step is to block the heat crossover and I'm going to make a cover for the pump to carb line to insulate it from the engine heat. I plan on using either a 3/8" or 1/2" piece of fuel line for that. I am going to make it so it's easy to remove for shows.

Durham Missouri
57RancheroJim
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I'm sure these problems are caused by the damn Ethanol in the fuel. I have a 1960 F100 with a 223 six and a glass bowl Holley. I can shut the engine off and after about a minute I can watch the fuel start to boil in the carb. I now have a spacer and it helped. I have spacers on all my other engines too. The Holley 390 on my Y hasn't given any problem with a 1/2" spacer and it's been 100+ here for weeks..
geo56
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I have found that certain carburators are more prone to vapor lock than others. I ran two different sizes of Autolite/Motrorcraft carbs (0.14 and 0.08)  on my 56 Victoria with 292. On a hot Tulsa day if I would shut it down and start it up again a minute or two later it would start again quick enough. However, let it set about 10 minutes and it would take an embarrassing number of rolls of the starter to restart. I tried stacking another black 1/2  composite spacer on top of the 1/2 inch 2 to 4 barrel adapter that was already on it and it didn't help much if at all . I ended up replacing the Autolite 2 barrel with a Holley 450 CFM 4 barrel and vapor lock was gone. I remember back in the mid 70's a friend of mine's father would drive him to work in an early 60's F100 and my friend told me then that the not so old truck would vapor lock bad in the summer.  A lot of those late 50's early 60's Y blocks ran Autolite carbs and I am guessing that vapor lock was a common complaint and I wonder if there was a service dept. solution back then. Also, I have run 289's in the past with Autolite 2 barrels and don't remember the vapor lock problem on the small block like it was on the Y block with the same carb. Maybe the Y block intake manifold puts out more heat than the 289 does. Just a guess.
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

One thing that can really cause a problem like that is if the exhaust manifold heat divertor flap is stuck in the closed position. Another thing that might help is to block the heat crossover or use partly restricted truck intake gaskets.. Good luck!

Paul
Mortimer452
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)

geo56 (8/3/2018)
I have found that certain carburators are more prone to vapor lock than others. I ran two different sizes of Autolite/Motrorcraft carbs (0.14 and 0.08)  on my 56 Victoria with 292. On a hot Tulsa day if I would shut it down and start it up again a minute or two later it would start again quick enough. However, let it set about 10 minutes and it would take an embarrassing number of rolls of the starter to restart. I tried stacking another black 1/2  composite spacer on top of the 1/2 inch 2 to 4 barrel adapter that was already on it and it didn't help much if at all . I ended up replacing the Autolite 2 barrel with a Holley 450 CFM 4 barrel and vapor lock was gone. I remember back in the mid 70's a friend of mine's father would drive him to work in an early 60's F100 and my friend told me then that the not so old truck would vapor lock bad in the summer.  A lot of those late 50's early 60's Y blocks ran Autolite carbs and I am guessing that vapor lock was a common complaint and I wonder if there was a service dept. solution back then. Also, I have run 289's in the past with Autolite 2 barrels and don't remember the vapor lock problem on the small block like it was on the Y block with the same carb. Maybe the Y block intake manifold puts out more heat than the 289 does. Just a guess.

Good to know. This is pretty much where I'm at now - I can turn it off long enough to pump a tank of gas maybe, but if it sits for more than 5-10 minutes I may as well pop the hood and wait another 30 for it to cool off before I even bother trying.

PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Geo 56: re the carb/intake spacer. Just a thought, was it aluminum?  Because aluminum transfers heat quickly..

Paul
82warren
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)

91 Octane gasoline without alcohol will help, this alcohol gas boils at a lower temp'.

warren

Reading This Topic

Site Meter