Profile Picture

Comp Cams- excessive lifter noise

Posted By marauder64 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Just had a rebuild on a 292 and we used a comp cam part# 37-000-5. We set the lash at 019 cold and wow is it noisy! In looking at the cam spec card provided it shows valve adjustment -intake and exhaust as HYD and no settings listed. Is that strange or what? I called the tech hotline and was told it is merely a grind matching a hydraulic grind and with this cam we should set them at 012". Needless to say this sounds strange but we went to .012 and the engine is for all purpose as loud/ticky as at .019. Again everything is new and checked for free  play, clearance issues on the shafts etc but there is no obvious problem that we can find. This engine is in a '55 Merc Sun Valley and although I like the solid lifter music it is out of place in this car. Any ideas????????
Thanks in advance! 
JIm 
2721955meteor
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
had a regrind of similar spec from shadbolt cams vancouver . it was to be with 20thou clearance,in the last 55bird i had. i set them at .16 noise gone, used the car for5years with no issues. was a 292  bored to 312 std  bore.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
One of our Circle Track engine has a Comp solid lifter cam with a hydraulic grind on it. When I bought the engine it was in it and I too called. Lobes are ground for performance and if they have specific one that can be used in different applications grinders will do it. 
As for your noise. your Yblock as every Y has solid lifters and make some noise. The ramps on this grind may have very quick closing causing the tappet noise you hear.
 If possible you could insulate the bottom of your hood. Fords did the back half with a stick on fiber material. I purchased a large sheet of black for my 56 and need to spray the bottom with upholstery adhesive but need to take it off first. That would definitely hide some of your sound. Seems like guys here use Isky E4 and not much is said about noise. All I know about tighten up the gaps is the valves spend less time on the seat to cool. 

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Today @ 2:37:22 AM
Were the rocker faces resurfaced when the engine was rebuilt?  If not, then you could simply be running more valve lash than you think you are if setting the valve lash with a feeler gauge.  You don’t give the specs on the camshaft, but as has been brought up, an aggressive lobe profile can be on the noisy side.

It bothers me that Comp uses a hydraulic lifter profile to begin with as it does not provide much of a ramp to take up the lash.  I generally find that any lash settings less than 0.012”-0.015” tends to be a problem when the engines are run at full throttle for any period of time.  In these instances, the exhaust valve lash tends to tighten up thus creating some misfires.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

marauder64
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (6 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Hi Ted-
What you and the other forum members have said about the hydraulic grind and its lobe profile makes sense and is enough added support to me to try swapping out the cam in this engine for one replicating a totally stock grind. 
Thank you Ted, DryLakesRacer and 2721955Meteor for the replys.
Jim   

Reading This Topic

Site Meter