Profile Picture

Top loader Extension Housing

Posted By GaryT 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Need some input from those who have swapped out their ‘55,’56 Fordomatic/Mercomatic for a toploader 4 speed. In my case, I have a ‘55 Montclair Coupe with air cooled automatic that I am replacing with a RUG-AV toploader from a ‘70 Mustang 302/351. Being that the Mustangs all had bucket seats and the shifter is mounted on the extreme rear of the extension housing, I need to know if the shifter as it is currently located on the housing will interfere with the stock bench seat when it is installed and if so, what housing application would provide the most comfortable position for the shifter placement. Seems like I read somewhere that the Falcon toploader housing for cars with a bench seat is a good choice.for the ‘55 ‘56 Fords and Merc’s.
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
You might want to talk to David Kee.  he makes and sells parts and repairs Ford toploaders. It's been a long time since I bought parts from him so I don't know if he is s till in business. I have an old catalog where he was in the process of manufacturing a tailhousing that will mount a shifter in three places, including the 64/65 Falcon (made by him).  I have the 64/65 Falcon trans and he tailhousing  mounts the shifter right near the front end of the tailhousing.  The telephone number I have is 877-276-8081.  www.davidkeetoploaders.com

I put a toploader in my 54, previously had an automatic.  No conflict with the stock seat

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

GaryT
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hey Paul, thanks for your reply, I should have included ‘54 Fords and Merc’s when I posted my request for info not thinking about them being first year Y Blocks. I became just a little familiar with your car from seeing it online and had read somewhere that you had installed a top loader in it. Come to think of it, your Vicky may have also been where I got the idea of using the Falcon extension housing too. I am somewhat familiar with Dave Kee’s knowledge of and work performed on top loaders so thanks for suggesting him He has a photo on his website showing a lineup of top loaders all with different extension housings on them. One of the top loaders includes a housing with 3 sets of 2 holes equally spaced apart along the left side that appear to be for mounting a shifter in three different locations. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the housing you described in your post. Regardless, the Falcon housing seems to provide the best mounting location for the shifter in mid 50’s cars with bench seats. If Dave is manufacturing a “universal” housing with the Falcon shift mounting points then that’s probably the way to go. I’ll give him a call anyway and confirm...thanks again for your input and suggestion.
slumlord444
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

There is another option. When I put the large input toploader in my '57 T Bird I made an adapter plate to mount to the transmission so I could locate the shifter so it would fit through the original hole in the floor. That lets you put it exacly where you want to. Had to then modify the shift rods to fit. Time consuming but it works fine and fits like it was made to.
Small block
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
    I have a  Rug top loader that came from a 1967 Fairlane 289 car!  It has the same length  tailstock as the Mustang transmission  but it has bosses for three different Shifter positions  one is right at the front one in the middle and the Mustang location is at the back!  I have had a bunch of  Top loaders  and  this is the only one I have seen with  Three sets of bosses!

paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Does it have David Kee's name on it by any chance?

Small block (8/21/2018)
    I have a  Rug top loader that came from a 1967 Fairlane 289 car!  It has the same length  tailstock as the Mustang transmission  but it has bosses for three different Shifter positions  one is right at the front one in the middle and the Mustang location is at the back!  I have had a bunch of  Top loaders  and  this is the only one I have seen with  Three sets of bosses!

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Small block
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
   The one I have is a Ford  part that  I bought  from a local Auto wrecker  about 30 years ago! That is  how I know what It can  out of!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter