Profile Picture

The Cam Thing Again

Posted By Florida_Phil 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I am ready to buy a new cam for my TBird engine and as usual the choices seem daunting.   My new engine will have flat top pistons and 1957 "G" heads and rockers with stock 1957 exhaust manifolds.  The car is a three speed manual with overdrive and 3.70 gears.  My engine will never see over 5,000 RPM.   I love the cool sound of a cam lope but don't want drive ability issues.  I've had big cams in street engines before and they can be a real PIA at low RPM.   I am leaning toward an Isky E4 cam.  I spoke with Mummert (nice guy) and he told me about a new cam he has called a 1957 Plus.   I don't want a cam that sounds like it belongs in a station wagon.  I don't want the car jumping all over the road either.  Does an Isky E4 cam have any lope?

Also, I'm scarred to death of Chinese parts.  I see all kinds of cam kits on EBay with cheap prices. The cams are name brand, but I have no idea where the lifters came from.  Who makes good lifters for a Y Block?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
The Isky E4 ground on 108° lobe centers is a good all around driver and still has a nice rumble out the exhaust.  The original ’57 Ford camshaft is ground with 208° duration @ 0.050” while the E4 is ground with 216° @ 0.050” just to give a bit of perspective how the two cams compare.  John Mummerts’ 57+ camshaft offering is likely similar to the E4 and if he recommends it, then go with his recommendation.

I have the E4 camshaft with 108° lobe centers in a 1955 Customline with a 272 and T-85 O.D. tranny and it’s been in there now for over 150K miles so no durability problems.  I check the tappet clearance roughly every 40K miles and it typically doesn’t need much if anything in that department.  The heads have hardened seats so I’m not having to contend with the valves settling deeper into the seats with modern fuel.  Hy-Lift Johnson lifters are U.S.A. made and that’s what I use.  While the Hy-Lift Johnson lifters are iron, the Trend lifters are tool steel.  Trend lifters are also U.S. made.  Take your pick.  Be sure to use engine oil that’s suited for flat tappet camshafts and not some of the modern oils which are incompatible for our older engines.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I am familiar with solid lifter cams, having used them in most of my hot rods over the years.  Replacing a cam in an early Thunderbird is not something I want to be faced with.   I always use moly lube on the lobes and lifters and run the cam in properly on start up.  I have never had a cam go bad on me and I don't want to start now.    If I buy my cam from John, I'm sure he will sell me good lifters to go with them.   He says the 57 plus cam is right for my combo.   He should know.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter