Profile Picture

idle problem

Posted By fdaunis 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
My 1964 F100 will die and not idle after running on the freeway or after 15 minutes of city driving in hot weather. I have a pertronix electronic ignition module with a flamethrower coil.The engine runs fine otherwise. If I let it sit for 20-30 minute it starts fine and idles fine until it gets hot again. The coil is mounted in the same place the original coil was and no part of it touches the intake manifold. I am looking for any input as to the cause. Anyone? 
Cliff
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Sounds like vapor lock (fuel boiling in the carburetor), look for the fuel line to close to the engine (picking up heat), check for the spacer under the carburetor (blocks heat), also look for a stuck heat riser (forcing heat under the carburetor).

Best guess
Rono
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Cliff has some good ideas there. Also, I like to run a see through fuel filter so I can see any crud in the system, but also so I can see that my fuel pump is pumping correctly. A weak fuel pump diaphragm or a small tear or hole in it can cause you problems.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Gene Purser
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Determine if it is fuel or spark. When it stops, remove air cleaner and check for squirt in carburetor. Pull the coil wire from distributor and hold it about 1/4" from a ground and crank engine. You should see a strong blue/white spark, not a weak yellow/orange spark.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter