Profile Picture

rolls backwards when starting

Posted By rexbd 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I am finally done with restoring the 55 Tbird.  I had the ford o matic rebuilt as well as everything else on this car.  I have two demons I can't sort out before I gift the car to my daughter.

First, when I start the car in park, it wants to roll backwards at first.  You can stop it easy enough by hitting the brake, but I cant sort this out.  

second window want to bind, electric motors work fine its the window in the channel.  I had to rebuild everything as it was a mess.  Think the shorter glass that is sold would be worth a try.

I am excited to bring this tbird back to life it hasn't run since 1966.  

Rex

miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
IIRC, the 55 bird only started in neutral. If it starts in Park, someone fitted a later model park/neutral switch. Makes me wonder if you’re in Park, or misadjusted to reverse. I’d think starting in reverse would be real obvious though. If you’ve got back up lights, they might show something odd if it’s the switch. Just been too long since I had an auto to remember all that for sure.

As to the windows, the track adjustment is a PITA. Up, nice and tight, they go down, but will bind coming back up. On my car, which is pretty rough body wise, they wouldn’t work properly adjusted to the hard top. I just had to put them a bit outboard where they’d work. A bit of dry silicone spray in the front and back channels helped too.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
rexbd
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
forgot to mention I changed the safety switch so it could be started in Park
ian57tbird
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
As Miker mentioned, it doesn't make sense being able to roll back in park. It would pay to check your linkage adjustment.

I have used graphite powder in the felt runners which seems to work well. Be aware if it is left where it can wash out it can leave staining on paint.
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
I noticed You had the Fordo rebuilt. If the Linkage is adjusted properly then the next thing to consider is the Parking Pawl installation in the Transmission itself..

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
darrell
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
your post doesnt male sense.will it hold in park on a slope if its not running.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter