Profile Picture

Hot headlight switch

Posted By MoonShadow 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I put in a new headlight switch and it seems to get hot when the lights are on. Appears to be around the dimming rheostat for the dash lights. Anyone else had this problem? I suspect Chinese innards may be the culprit.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Take the Wire for Dashlights off the Terminal for Rheostat and put it on the Terminal for Headlights ( not parking Lights) if U want to test your Theory. That's why I prefer NOS US made Electrical Components. I bought a NOS Ford Ignition Switch the other Day. All other newer Switches ( non Ford) have very short Terminals where the Accessory Wires go on. NOS Ford has much longer Acc. Terminal which is the One that has the most Wires. There is a difference between NOS and later Chinese Junk. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Tedster
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Make certain grounds, cables, and headlight wiring to include floor switch are good. It is really amazing how much voltage and is lost in cables that "look" good. High resistance circuits in vintage cars is the rule not the exception and will smoke switches. Chinese electrical parts, well, all bets are off. Just say "No."
MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Just did a bunch of wire repair and re-routing last winter. I'll recheck those. Moving the taillight wire to the headlight post is a good idea too.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c1b817a9-e5cf-4e86-b55e-a554.jpg
Isn't the running light wire also the feed for the dash lights?

Y's guys rule!

miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
Short answer yes, but IIRC, that feed is internal to the sw. inside the sw turning on the running (aka parking) lights feeds the reostat internally. At least that’s how I interpret the yellow wire shown on both sides of the reo, and the way I remember it. Those open wire reostats can also develop some corrosion just sitting in a box.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Lord Gaga
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Do you have Halogen Headlights?

"FREE SAMPLE"
MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I have some of the old style replacement bulbs. Never thought about them having a higher draw. With my old switch the dimmer didn't work but sometimes at night if I stopped at a light all the lights would pulse. Once moving again they would stop. I wondered if the switch had a internal circuit breaker that was causing the problem. 

Y's guys rule!

Tedster
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Halogens draw more than tungsten filaments but if you pencil it out they are well within the stock wiring harness and switch capacity. I've used them for almost 20 years with no problems along with a stock 30 amp generator.

Typically what happens though is a vintage car has so much accumulated voltage drop and poor grounding and corrosion the headlights are dim, so Halogen lamps are installed as a remedy. Of course it doesn't work that way. Now relays are often suggested as a solution, and they will definitely take load off the switch, but it's important to have good grounds and connections regardless.

You can measure the voltage drop or high resistance with a low ranging voltmeter.

Test both ground and hot side individually. One probe on the negative battery post, and one probe on the negative headlight terminal (parallel to the wire or cable under test)

With the headlights on (engine off) the voltage drop in the connections and wiring will be displayed as a positive number. It should not exceed maybe 0.10 or 0.20 of a volt or so, a little higher on the positive side. Maybe 0.30 volts. With restored cars paint at grounding locations will cause voltage drop troubles, it's not just the tetanus vectors that have trouble with this.

When you are finally satisfied with the headlight brightness, and with the voltage drop at factory spec minimum you will be pleased, _then_ go ahead and install headlight relays. They will perform that much better. Whiter whites, brighter brights. But you should be able to reach an acceptable headlight brightness and avoid burning the switches or harness with good wiring. Try to find NOS floor switch and headlight switch. Overseas electrical parts are a crapshoot.
MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Today I had the switch on running/dash lights only while testing output for the tail lights. I got hot enough to burn my finger when I touched it. I think the switch is crap. A new switch shouldn't get that hot. The tail light lead is hot so now I've got to trace the wire for a short or burn marks. I'll also swap in a used switch and see what happens. Does the wiring harness to the rear lights go down the left door jamb or under the center carpet?

Y's guys rule!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter