Profile Picture

Newbie intro, 1948 F5 with Y blockded to tr

Posted By ravenclaws 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Hey guys,

So I was given a 1948 F5 Ford from my uncle. I always do routine stuff on my cars and trucks (brakes, starters, alternators, etc) but this is the biggest project I have every tackled.

After a lot of thought I have decided to give the Y block in her a try.  The engine was fully rebuilt by the Ford dealership not long before the truck was parked in the 80's.  Pulled the dipstick...the oil looks new.

I am about to pull the plugs and pour in Marvel Mystery Oil in each hole and let it sit for a few days before I try to turn it by hand (well wrench and pipe).

I know nothing about these engines.  Any and all advice much appreciated.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e3c66ef7-7631-4c3d-96ce-9466.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/28440ad6-3e5b-4ea4-b495-1d04.jpg
Lou
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
So far so good, when you try to spin it over for the first time do it with the plugs removed.
ravenclaws
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8c008867-6cd6-4b54-b3c0-8a8a.jpgThanks Lou.

Can anyone tell me about the bolt pattern on the back of these engnes?  I believe the block number is behind the starter.  Someone has seen these pics and believed this engine is from a car not a truck.

Was hoping to pull out the four speed manual out of the truck (it was a wrecker) and go back in with a 5 speed from a 80's F150 if a lot of surgery isn't required.

I am going for a weekly driver not a show queen.  So hoping a five speed will allow me to get over 45 mph without the old girl sounding like she is trying to give birth.
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The bellhousing bolt pattern is unique to the Y-Block; no bellhousing for another engine will bolt directly to it.

Engine numbers will be either above the oil filter or near the distributor.  It does look like it is configured for a car but since a '48 would never have come with a Y, it may fit well.

http://www.ford-y-block.com/Block%20identification.htm

Lawrenceville, GA
Rono
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Ravenclaws;
I love the early F-1 trucks (48-50). Visit John Mummert's website at FordYBlock.com. The most common 5 speed conversion for the Y Blocks is a T-5 tranny from 86-93 V8 Mustangs. Mummert sells the adapter plate for the bellhousing and has lots of other parts and info for you. One issue you may have with the T-5 is the shifter position in the cab. If you have the stock bench seat, the shifter location may be too far back and could interfere with the seat.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

A T5 might be too light duty for an F5 even if it never hauls a load again.  The cars they came in were about 3600lbs at the high end and when you figure in 4 American sized passengers, that's probably up to about 4400lbs total that they were intended to move.

Lawrenceville, GA
Rono
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Charlie;
That's very true. The T-5 were only rated at about 300 HP. I did find a company though called "G-Force Transmission" that can convert your stock T-5 to their "Street T-5" which they rate at 550 HP. They change everything; mainshaft, gears, syncro's and bearings. I haven't looked into the cost, but I'm considering them for my upgraded blower motor.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

30 coupe
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
If that eng. has been setting a long time like shown in the picture with no carburetor, and air cleaner.  I would pull the intake off of it and vacuum out the cylinders, and the intake runners.    there is probably a bunch of insect/rodent residue in there. If you don't pull the intake , at least try and make sure the intake runners are clear by using a shop vac, and suck out anything you can.
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

There's G-force and Astro that I know of, who can modify T5s for more power.  Cost depends a lot on what you have done. For most modification, you still have the stock T5 case, which really makes me question the durability.  If you go with an upgraded case, it is quite expensive, and a TKO or whatever the current equivalent is, or T56 is probably just a small increase in price.  That said, if a  T5 was already in place, it could be a good idea as long as the modifications do live up to the claims.  Been a while since I looked at it.  

Lawrenceville, GA
Rono
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

What has to be done for a T-56 to bolt up to Mummert's adapter?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter