Profile Picture

Rockers junk?

Posted By dennis22 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi guys,

I found a set of high ratio rockers on an old set of heads, but when I pulled them off the shafts, I found some were in pretty bad shape. The question I have is... how bad is junk? Can the rockers be honed to a certain extent or is there only so much tolerance allowed before they get a trip to the bin?

Here are three of the rockers

Best one

Worst one

Somewhere in between

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

ponymare
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
If the shaft is worn, try them on a good shaft and see how much slop they have and if they move freely.
Dobie
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
These guys will rebuild them on an exchanges basis: http://www.rockerarms.com/pages/about.html
NoShortcuts
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Dennis.  Ponymare's suggestion is good.  The wear is principally on the bottom of the bore of the rocker arm.  IF they are loose on a new shaft, you can pursue having them re-sized.  The bores can be oversized and then brought back to dimension with a bronze bushing.  Several Forum members have indicated that they have been pleased with the work performed by Rocker Arms Unlimited.

Click the link below to see their web site and get some info about what they do.
http://www.rockerarms.com/pages/about.html

Click the link below to see a Tim McMaster's (Y-Block Guy.com) video that shows him checking rocker arms for excess wear.  I've used a variable speed drill motor and a brake cylinder hone to smooth the rocker arm bores.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ZjObWyRJU

Hope this helps!   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Tedster
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Those are junk. Shop Manual for '64 specifies clearance between rockers and shaft .002 - .004"; wear limit .007" but those also show evidence of heavy galling.

Now of course it's easy to get all propeller-head and slip over the line into silliness about this stuff. Of course they can be made to work but my view is that if one is going through the time and trouble of all that might as well make it _right_. I recently rebuilt the rocker arm assemblies, new (or rebuilt) rocker arms and shafts are the only way to go. There's different strategies, if you look around online there are even complete rocker arm assemblies available, for a price naturally. Rocker Arm specialties can sleeve the bores and grind the tips back on the set of rocker arms you have now.
2721955meteor
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
a typical lack of lube ,if you rebuild or replace you must improve the lub issue. like the elimination of the over flow tubes,. if the valve seals and guides are half decent, and the drains at lower front and reas of heads air clean there is plenty of flow to lub the chain and diet gears. the rockers farthest from the lube hole  in rocker stand will be the worst. tho you must have oil from cambering  or you are into major repairs new rocker shafts are a must as will as old ones will be full of sludge
dennis22
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thanks for the input guys!

I ordered new shafts but foolishly only ordered 8 new rockers, thinking that the ones I had would be ok (I hadn't pulled them from the head at that stage).

Anyway long story short... I have ordered 8 more from JM. Should have just done it the right way first and ordered a pair of new complete rocker assembly’s. Live and learn I guess... I seem to always be re learning this lesson though. Haha!

Ps, thanks for the tip on the rocker arm rebuild place, however I’m in Australia so it’s just easier to get some new ones.

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

jumpstart
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Dennis 22;  If you will send me your E-Mail address again   I have a good set of Rockers .
Also I can send you photo,s  Bob  Harvey

fairlanebob@charter.net

Reading This Topic

Site Meter