Profile Picture

Did the ford y ever get a 12" clutch?

Posted By Shaggy 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I cant seem to find any interchange on clutch stuff for the lincoln y's like i just picked up, so i was wondering if ford y's ran the same clutch sizes. Mainly i just need a pressure plate and throwout to fit the f500 truck 332(non-fe) flywheel i picked up for my 368. I already have the cragar adapter to ford car trans, and tonite i think i will try to see if i can machine a 3x2 intake for a 324 olds to fit.(apparently early olds, lincoln y and 383 mopar all have similar bore spacing causing similar port locations)

Otherwise i am off to confuse the counter jockeys at the local parts stores again.

I guess my best course is to look at FE stuff but it's then guessing if the stack height will be the same when all bolted up
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Maybe go here- https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum56/

There is a member there -NUMBER DUMMY- that has the period correct TRUCK MPC that should be able to help you.

Maybe consider going aftermarket? I would be concerned about a NOS assembly coming apart.

Will the HT flywheel fit within the bell housing?

Please keep the board informed.

yalincoln
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
ford did use a 12" clutch on some of there heavy duty FE & Lincoln y's! where are you located?

lincoln/merc. y-blocks &mel's                                                               bucyrus, ohio.
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
You can have the flywheel drilled to work with a more common 11" clutch.  If the truck will not be used as originally designed, this should not be a problem.  Even so, technology has advanced quite a bit in about 60 years so a smaller modern clutch may be as good or better than a larger original clutch.

Replacement clutches for light truck Y Blocks were (incorrectly) 12" at one time and available at any auto parts store.  I don't know if it is still the case.

Lawrenceville, GA
Shaggy
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
charliemccraney (4/21/2018)
You can have the flywheel drilled to work with a more common 11" clutch.  If the truck will not be used as originally designed, this should not be a problem.  Even so, technology has advanced quite a bit in about 60 years so a smaller modern clutch may be as good or better than a larger original clutch.

Replacement clutches for light truck Y Blocks were (incorrectly) 12" at one time and available at any auto parts store.  I don't know if it is still the case.

I'm actually building this as a setup to use as a replacement for the 292/t86 in my '59 fairlane daily. Not looking for anything crazy, just enough power to move that boat. The current engine is fine and low miles but it doesnt hurt to have a ready to go backup incase i throw a rod or something. If it doesnt end up in there i have a bunch of hot rod projects that can take it. It might end up in my dad's 50 ford if the flattie has issues when i finally get around to firing it.

For this kind of application, my beliefs are i want a big, old style clutch not because it's gunna be pulling stumps but because i want something that will out last this engine and also since that is what the flywheel is set up for.

On anouther note, the 303/324 olds intakes i have drop on and bolt holes and ports are really close but as i knew going in they are machined at different angles. I might be able to make my weiand 3x2 fit with some machining and spacers but i'm going to see if i can find a 371 intake since they are cheap and a little wider, a J2 intake with 3  rochesters would be awesome. If this fails i can fall back on a 6x2 log since that is already proven to work.
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
A truck clutch will not work for you if you want to use a car transmission.  The fingers of the pressure plate will be too far apart for the smaller input shaft and throwout bearing of the car transmission.  A more common 11" will do the job perfectly for your goal.

Lawrenceville, GA
1960fordf350
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I have  a clutch setup from a 332 in my garage.   No flywheel.   I just bought a new clutch kit for my F350 from Autozone.   Although the clutch from the 332  is 1in bigger,  the throwout bearings are the same size.  The pressure plate is bigger and the clutch is bigger.   However,  in this kit came 4 different pilot bearings!    If you have the pressure plate,  just get an 11in clutch to put behind it.    The splines on both are the same,  my truck has a T98 in it.   T98's were also used in F500-F600 trucks.    So it has a bigger input shaft.   http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e3f4c9da-abda-4c2b-9bc0-7f37.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3f5e8056-c224-467a-8abe-897b.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6d7c98e4-e3b7-4364-acd0-85b1.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/555595b0-5db4-4e3c-a762-95b9.jpg  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2e6780b3-6e07-4836-8bf9-c3da.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter