Profile Picture

Rear main leaking

Posted By Tim Quinn 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Have a billet rear main bearing cap. Tried Chrysler seals, no luck.
Engine: '57 312
Do any of you know the secret to stop this billet cap from leaking ?
Tim in Florida
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Click on "Links" at top of Page. Go to Ted Eaton Balancing. He has a list of Technical Article.One is for rear main Seal on 312. There is a good Seal sold by "Best" which apparently when properly installed works well  in most Cases.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Tim Quinn
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Thanks,
Just got off the phone with a BESTgasket distributor and he helped.
Again, THANKS !!,
Tim in florida
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Good. I would still print off Ted's Article for Reference because He has a Couple of Tips to improve the chances of success even using Best Seals. I used it when I replaced the Seal in my 292 that leaked from the start after I rebuilt it. Seems to have solved my problem.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Tim Quinn
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Will read the topics again, they are good info.
Thanks again for your input.
Tim in Florida
Cliff
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I use the Chrysler seal on all 312's and the stock retainer (over 20 years) with no problems, I think most leaks are from the pan where it covers the oil seal retainer, I always use studs in the retainer and put sealer on top of the retainer bolt heads.
Tim Quinn
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Are using a billet cap on the 312's ?
We have a billet aluminum cap and tried BESTgasket's seal but it failed.
Tim in Florida
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
,Apparently the  "early" Best seal, which I believe is the Red seal (I may be corrected on that information ?) does not work well, however their later Black seal works well. However, the installation is tricky & needs to be followed properly or a leak will result. See Ted Eatons instructions (link to Eaton Balancing from here).  Another place that can appear to be a seal leak is the rear camshaft plug, which will leak if not sealed properly when installed & it needs to be installed with some clearance to the Cam. See also info on that from Eaton..  
N.B.- edit; see below, I'm corrected by Miker, the bad seal is an "orange color" not Red. - Thanks 

Paul
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
They were actually an “orange” seal, and very easy to spot. They were a softer silicone I think, and often failed in 500 miles. I had one in my 312, and it didn’t make it that far. I replaced it with the current Best black seal, which I think is neoprene. So far so good, but I haven’t gone that far.

We followed all Ted’s instructions carefully, double checked everything, so I hope it’s solved. The other culprits were eliminated as possible leaks, so I know it was that orange seal.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Cliff
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I only use the Ford retainer, the Chrysler seal in my Bird I installed in 1995, still good.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter