Profile Picture

self locking vs lock nut rockers

Posted By Gene Purser 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Preparing to install my new rocker shaft I find that a few of the rockers arms are a little more loose than others. Digging through my 35+ year old stash in the attic I found a rocker assembly with the self locking adjusters. The shafts show only slight wear, so I took them apart to check the rocker arms for wear. They look good, so I would like to use some of them on the new shaft. I took the self locking adjusting screw out and installed one with the lock nut and it seems to fit just fine. Both types look physically the same. Holding them side by side they are the same length, etc. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something and can mix/interchange the two types of rockers with no ill effects. Thank you for your continued patience with my questions.
Gene
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
If you look closely, the threaded portions of the rockers where the adjuster goes are different lengths.  The rocker with the nut is longer and using a interference fit adjuster may not have enough length to get the correct gap.  I ran into this, but the length was just enough.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Gene Purser
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

I want to put the nut-type adjuster in the rocker that had interference fit adjusters to keep them all the same. Will that be a problem?
I have a completer set of the interference type and can install all of them in the rockers that now have nut-type adjusters if it will work better. 
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
IIRC, and it’s been almost 50 years, the “interference” is in the thread in the rocker, not the screw. If the top of the rocker is machined so the nut can properly tighten, it should be ok. As to length, it’s been too many years, I can’t comment.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Gene Purser
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

thanks, I'll look at that area.
57RancheroJim
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Don't forget Y's over the years had two different ratio rockers and you don't want to mix them. heres how to check.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2e09cedc-8c42-4975-951a-a261.jpg
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
I find that a long-handled wrench provides for more precise adjusting than a screwdriver. Also, why not utilize the best of both worlds? Interference/hex-head screws PLUS a lock nut works for me.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
Gene Purser
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks 57RancheroJim, That is very helpful. I found this on Y-block technical: 
EAN rocker is 1954-1955 1.43:1 ratio
51066 is 1958 - 1964 1.43:1  ratio
1.54:1 HIGH RATIO ROCKERS ARE ECG 6564
The rockers that are in the car now are EAN and a 1/4" drill will almost go in the gap. My replacement rockers are 5751066 and a 11/32" bit will almost go in the gap. But according to the above information, they are both 1.47 ratio. 

PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Re read your post & answers & am somewhat confused as to what you need to do? However, one thing for certain is; the one piece interferience style adjusters will not work as a replacement in the earlier 2 pce adjuster rocker arms, due to the interferience fit thread..

Paul
Gene Purser
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The question was if I would be able to use the lock nut type adjuster in the rocker that came with an interference adjuster. I tried it and the lock nut adjuster felt the same in the threads that came with interference adjusters as it did in the original rocker. I had to remove the interference adjusters from the rockers I used on the new shaft to clean the sludged-up oil hole to the push rod. Those interference adjusters must be intended for one-time use because they didn't take as much force to reinstall them as it did to take them out. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter