Profile Picture

plugs for rocker shaft ends

Posted By Gene Purser 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
What size/type plugs are used for the ends of the rocker shafts? I measure .525" at the end, but there appears to be a step down where the plug sits. I've googled for .500" plugs and there are several types. What is the correct plug to ask for?
Thanks, Gene
Cliff
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
They are the same as FE Fords, easy to buy at most parts houses 
Gene Purser
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Thank you Cliff. I looked in Rock Auto and found them as Dorman 555-007 and .547" outer diameter. Looking at my old shaft, it measures .525" at the end and appears to have a shoulder to a smaller diameter about 1/2" down. I've ordered a new shaft and don't know if it comes with plugs or not. I just want to have all the parts when it gets here.

Dorman has a 555-006 that is .508" outer. I might get both hoping one will fit. 
Thanks again
Gene
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Someone, I think Charlie, posted instructions on crimping the end of the tubes down to pressurize the rockers and still have a little oil flow thru. Someone else had a post of tapping the tube and drilling a small hole. A search might find it, but I don’t ever seem to be able to find what I’m looking for on the search function. I think Mummert drills and taps a set screw, and drills a small drain hole, but that’s more a guess. Too many years since I discussed that with him.

I can tell you from experience that if you let the valve cover gasket slip that in a couple minutes oil will build up and pour over the exhaust. Causes a great deal of smoke and scares you to death.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
FORD PN- EAA 6572-A

.536"

Gene Purser
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Well, that cinches it. .536" it is. Thanks to Cliff and KULTULZ!
Cliff
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Hi, I bought a box from Rock Auto, they work fine, the new shafts should have plugs already
Gene Purser
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I have the shaft on the way from Rock Auto. I had no way of knowing if they already have the plugs and, as inexpensive as they are, was going to have them on hand just in case they didn't. I can't find them in stock anywhere in our capital city. The shaft is to be here tomorrow per USPS tracking, so I'll just wait and see. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!!
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
These Shafts are another Y Block Item that is available by simply ordering. I remember not too many Years ago you had to hunt around for NOS Ones.And they were not Cheap when You were able to find them.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Look on ebay for the plugs - Shafts are shown too. 

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter