Profile Picture

Ram Horn exhaust for trucks

Posted By yblock57 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Does anyone know of a pre-bent exhaust system for trucks with the ram horn exhaust manifolds? I hate to have some joe-smoe at the local muffler shop cobble together pipes. Rather go bolt on if possible. The truck in question is a ‘56 f100 shortbed.

Thanks in advance!

Kent — Round Rock, TX
'56 F-100  | '56 Crown Vic  |  '57 Fairlaine 500  |  '57 Thunderbird

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
I doubt you will find one.  A local shop should do a decent job.  If you have a shop that does mandrel bending, that would be best but it costs more.  You will need to bring flanges.  They will not have correct flanges on hand.

Lawrenceville, GA
yblock57
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

That’s what I figured, but wanted to check just in case. Thanks.

Kent — Round Rock, TX

62bigwindow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
If possible ask for references. I had a local shop put exhaust on my '56 and they did a horrible job. Now im going to have to find another shop to either fix or replace the whole system.

Durham Missouri
yblock57
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

62bigwindow — thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely check around.

Kent — Round Rock, TX

stuey
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Hi Kent
Just out of curiosity, as I'm in a similar situation, are you looking to rout the pipes over or under the bell housing cross member?
stuey 

Bob Gardner
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I bought a stainless "Pypes Pro Dual Exhaust System" (PYE-SGC10R) from Summit Racing for my '56 F-100.  The kit is for a Tri-five Scrubby and includes mufflers, X pipe, and assorted pipes & clamps.  It will require you to get the correct connection for your exhaust manifold.  The down tube and manifold connection will need to be welded. Some of the tubes will have to be shortened to fit our truck.  Also the pipe that goes over the rear axle will need a piece of straight pipe from the kit to be welded or joined using a sleeve clamp to it to extended it out passed the bumber.  You will also have to get some exhaust hangers.

I had to get rid of some crappy glass pack mufflers and a real funky exhaust plumbing job done by the previous owner.  I brought a set of Sanderson headers, the Pypes kit, and some assorted other pieces.  I actually installed the headers and this kit on the truck in my driveway over a weekend.
yblock57
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

stuey (4/22/2018)
Hi Kent
Just out of curiosity, as I'm in a similar situation, are you looking to rout the pipes over or under the bell housing cross member?
stuey 

Hey Stuey —
I'm planning on running them in the same orientation as the stock passenger pipe. Don't have the truck at the house right now and don't recall if the current single pipe runs over or under that crossmember or not. Regardless, it should be a really simple system to put together. Surprised nobody is making anything given the popularity of these trucks.

The plan is to just run two thrush 24" glass packs with a turn-down on the outlets. No tail pipes — just run past the cab as the original single pipe does.

Kent — Round Rock, TX

yblock57
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Bob Gardner (4/22/2018)
I bought a stainless "Pypes Pro Dual Exhaust System" (PYE-SGC10R) from Summit Racing for my '56 F-100.  The kit is for a Tri-five Scrubby and includes mufflers, X pipe, and assorted pipes & clamps.  It will require you to get the correct connection for your exhaust manifold.  The down tube and manifold connection will need to be welded. Some of the tubes will have to be shortened to fit our truck.  Also the pipe that goes over the rear axle will need a piece of straight pipe from the kit to be welded or joined using a sleeve clamp to it to extended it out passed the bumber.  You will also have to get some exhaust hangers.

I had to get rid of some crappy glass pack mufflers and a real funky exhaust plumbing job done by the previous owner.  I brought a set of Sanderson headers, the Pypes kit, and some assorted other pieces.  I actually installed the headers and this kit on the truck in my driveway over a weekend.

Hey Bob —

Thanks for the reply and info. What you did is what I have been planning and trying to do — leave the muffler shop out of the equation! I have a lead on getting a header pipe with the proper flange welded on to work with the ram horns. All I'd really need is the 90* bend and some straight sections to complete the system. I'm not going to run tail pipes — the plan is to run two Thrush glass packs with turn-downs past the cab. Want to keep as similar as possible to the current single setup for simplicity. The truck is otherwise completely stock and this is probably the only modification it will have. Plus not having to deal with tail pipes over the axle and aligning everything will make things much easier.

I'll keep shopping for some quality stainless pipes, clamps, and hangers to get this going. Also going to grab a pipe expander from Harbor Freight to make the slip it all together.
Any recommendations on the the above is welcome. Thanks!

Kent — Round Rock, TX

55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Few shops can make mandrel bends, and your local muffler shops aren't likely able to do anything fancy. If you can provide your location, maybe someone can recommend a shop that is within a reasonable driving distance.

I got a quote of $3000 to build an exhaust system, not including headers, from a local custom shop. They don't have the equipment to do mandrel bends, so they have to be formed by hand. Instead, I will trailer my car a couple of hundred miles to a shop that has the equipment to make mandrel bends, using stainless steel. I will provide headers, mufflers, and resonators.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter