Profile Picture

Modern Radio For a Fair Price and LOOKS GREAT

Posted By Melly 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Idea Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 days ago
This is something for all who are not purists. Found this on web and am putting in my 55 Ford.  If you are not wanting something in glove box or under dash, or other places that just seem to be only solution to a modern radio, AM/FM/Bluetooth and USB ( for mp3 thumb drive, charging ).  Without paying those high prices this might be four you.  
Its a Boss MGR 350B marine radio, 6" X 9" Dual Voice Coil Speakers or use 6" X 9"  with 2 4" speaker mounted on it.  Speaker bolt under das to replace original.  Take out stock radio, use the benzel from around radio and wire in put rear speaker in if you wish in original hole in back and done.  If you aready have a pair of front and rear speaker cut in from your other radio they will plug in to this radio.  This is a 12volt hook up, and in place of push buttons I used dices the person i got this from just used blank plate.  Use you own idea, which could be endless.  
I like it and looks good, not cutting up panels and modifying brackets, and mounts.
Radio cost $80.00 If you want to spend more for Jensen,and other big name they also make this radio style.  Do Google search for marine radios.  Speaker cost $48.00 again other name brand cost differ.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3a69e2e0-7d32-4123-9bb4-f7ef.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5a8c9d59-5bc0-47a5-a86e-3102.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/47d34f3e-50ce-42c4-9e39-ea8c.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/bda47833-4b0a-4be7-ab29-3401.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/65e56107-7de1-4214-a600-c27c.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/bec14811-7373-42ba-bf52-42e0.jpg
MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Now that is slick. I haven't seen a new round radio in years. Looks great and I don't think most people will notice. Also looks easy to swap back.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Rowen
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Melly, that looks great! A direct bolt in? And I would imagine it will work with any automotive speaker? thanks for the heads up. It appears to be just what I'm looking for. Didn't really want a "hidden audio" system and would NEVER cut the dash or the glove box.

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
Melly
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)

Once you remove the original radio, which take up a large space. ( new one much-much smaller ) Makes wipe drive easy to put in anytime.   Laying up side down ( when young was a lot easier )  You then remove the original speaker ( !!/32 nuts ).  You should use a speaker like mentioned above as radio is made to  connect  to 4 speakers.  Speaker above is two speaker in one 6 x 9 so you will have good sound and left and right , front and back control.  Speaker in under dash i had to enlarge the oval holes in each corner to fit as I didn't want to try bending the threaded mount studs risking having  then come loose. Go on ebay you  can find dice in most colors with dot on the numbers (1955 ) and different images. Or find your own idea.
Barnabasmc
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Did the radio fit right into the bezel? I tried this a few years ago with one I ordered from Concourse that they said would fit. It would not fit into the bezel because of the bottom part of the bezel. Would like to try it again if it will fit without me having to cut the bezel. I installed the round one under the dash and just kept the original radio still  in the dash. 
Melly
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

This fit the round hole without any problems. Replaced the push button with dice the dice had to be shave a little for the fit, but you can do other ideas of your own. I also replaced the front speaker with a ( dual voice 6 x 9 speaker ) this allows for left right and better sound and did same in rear. Sound great and looks awesome.
Barnabasmc
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)Supercharged (89 reputation)

Thanks, I think I'll try it. Last time I tried I took the push buttons of an original style radio (I had two) and it fits right in and looked like push buttons. I saved it when I put the other radio back in. Currently I have a one single speaker in the dash and two in the back. Think it will still sound good? I don't want to fight putting another front speaker back in.  Once I get it in I'll post a picture. 
MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Check online for a speaker that will fit where the factory speaker is but give you 2 channels for stereo sound.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Barnabasmc
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I've been looking at the unit online and a lot of reviews talk about it running hot and condensation on the display screen. Most of the reviews are from boat owners so I am hoping those two problems are because the unit is exposed to heat and water. Has anybody has these two problems when installing it in your 55? 
Barnabasmc
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Reading This Topic

Site Meter