Profile Picture

AM Radio Repair/Rebuild

Posted By geo56 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 1 hour ago
I wonder if anyone out there can recommend a service that repairs or rebuilds original AM radios. I have a 56 Victoria and want to keep it original. Being an old timer, I usually listen to AM talk radio only or country and can remember how the old radios used to pick up really far away stations. A rebuilt original will suit me just fine.
62bigwindow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Google Bill the radio guy. He does conversions and restoration work.

Durham Missouri
62bigwindow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
http://www.billtheradioguy.com/

Durham Missouri
Sandbird
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Did you do any basic trouble shooting on your own? Like are all the tubes glowing, do you hear the vibrator buzzing when switched on, any sound at all?
CobraJoe
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I've seen these guys mentioned a few times on an other forum: S&M Electro-Tech, Blaine, MN  http://www.turnswitch.com/

1957 FAIRLANE 500
geo56
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)Supercharged (277 reputation)

I hooked it up to a battery charger 6 AMPS and plugged in the speaker and antenna . Most tubes glowed and 2 or so were somewhat dark. I could feel vibration when I touched the vibrator but it was otherwise pretty quiet. I was not able to select a station or search as neither the pushbuttons or knob would move the selector. I could probably take it apart and clean and lube the tuner and have discovered that Tee Bird Products sells a tube kit. I am hesistant to throw money at it and still end up with a dead radio. I talked to a guy at Fred's Classic auto radios in Kansas and he said it is his policy to do rebuilds, not repairs and charges usually ranged fron 150.00  $200.00. I asked him if he would examine the radio and call me back with an estimate before repairing it and he replied that he only gave a heads up call if the cost would be over $200.00.  Considering that AM FM aftermarket replacements seem to be $400.00 and up , maybe the $200 is a good price. I am in Tulsa.
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I certainly wouldn't use Fred's if he was so  unwilling to work with me.  All he had to say I will  call you.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I don’t see your location, but here’s another route. These guys don’t restore or rebuild radios any more, and their new ones are really pricey. But they’ve got a dealer locator, and they say to try there for rebuild or restore. If there’s one listed near you, they might do it, or know who can.

http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
geo56
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thank you Paul for reinforcing what my gut feeling was. If a shop won't appraise the damages and at least give me a ball park estimate before doing repairs, run from it. I have a feeling my bill would have been $199.99 no matter how minor the damage was.
slumlord444
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
There is some logic to rebuild vs repair. If he is going to guarantee it he would have to rebuild it rather than patch it back together.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter