Profile Picture

LYB's and parts

Posted By mjs 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
You people with the traditional Y-blocks may not realize how lucky you are.  The traditional Y's, such as a 312, are supported and you can even find performance parts.  Aluminum intakes, heads, cam's.  A whole variety of parts.  Try doing the same for a 368.  I walk into a parts store, such as Autozone or O'Reilly's and when I tell them I have a 57 Lincoln they then as if its a Premier, a Capri, or a MarkII.  The only difference between a Premier and a Capri is the power windows and seats.  Its like a F150 XLT and an XL.  And Mark II? Those are even Lincoln's.  They're Continental's.  Just don't ask a MarkII owner that question or they'll rip your head off.  The next question is what engine.  Really.  It doesn't matter which car you have but they're all the same.  368 Y-block.  I know.  I'm ranting.  But if you work for one of these guys you should be a car guy.  And NAPA?  They're just as bad.  

So when I need hard parts my options are places such as Kanter and Egge or the resto houses.  When I needed a cam for both my coupe and my convertible they were a couple a hundred each from MarkII.  When I needed a flex plate it was about $300 for a used one plus a core charge.  But in the end it's worth it.  Nothing better than the look and sound of a LYB.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1d5b145a-1c57-4c0d-8bd1-fba5.jpg
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
If you go to a chain auto parts store and expect the person behind the counter to know all there is to know about every year make and model ever, you are being unrealistic.  Given that most of their business will be for vehicles not more than a couple decades old, it's highly unlikely they will know anything at all about a '50s or '60s car.  Not knowing about an old Lincoln certainly does not make you "not a car guy."  It just makes you a guy who doesn't know about an old Lincoln.

I'm sure a lot of people would consider me a car guy and I'v just learned the most specific info I can claim to know about 1957 Lincolns in this thread.  If I was the guy behind the counter, I'd have the same questions if all the info I had is what's on the computer screen while I'm trying to look up parts.

If I need parts for my truck, that are available at a chain store, I just bring the part numbers.  It's a lot easier that way.

Lawrenceville, GA
mjs
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)Supercharged (199 reputation)

Oh I realize that.  I am a car guy and I make it a point to know a lot about what I have.  It's just kind of fun to go into a chain store and ask for parts.  I do have a local store that is really great.  It's amazing what they have in stock.  Last summer when I needed a carb kit for my 54 Ford tractor they had it in stock.  They had wheel cylinders and rebuild kits in stock for the Lincolns.  It is much, much more than I can say about NAPA.  

I guess my point is that, even though difficult at times, it is nice to have a car that is outside the normal.  Everyone knows something about 55-56-57 scruby's and Tbirds, Mustangs, Camaro's, Nova's, and scrubelle's.  But it's nice to have something outside to normal that people ask questions about.  

Try finding an oil filter for a 46 Nash Ambassador.  

That's why we do this.  For the satisfaction and the sense of accomplishment.  When I'm at a car show people ask a lot of questions.  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1d5b145a-1c57-4c0d-8bd1-fba5.jpg
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Interesting.. The local parts store that you refered too, that was helpful.  Would you care to  I.D. them & their general location?  There's always someone on here looking for that kind of help. Thanks.

Paul
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
MJS, get on one of the chain websites.  Look for a part.  The page comes up, asking you what brand car.  Click on one.  Then it asks what year.  Click on one.  Then it asks what model.  Click on one.  Then it asks what engine.  Click on one.  The guy at the store has the same type page, and if he doesn't fill in the blanks, the computer won't let him proceed.  What used to get me, when I ask for a part by number, they ask "what does it fit?"  Huh?  Then I noticed one day that the application was printed on my receipt for warranty information.  Be patient with them my friend. 

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
mjs
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I do have extensive experience working on cars.  Both old and new.  I currently have 35 years working in the collision industry running our family owned shop.  I spend equal amounts of time in the shop "turning wrenches" and in the office doing paper work.  So I know cars  I've worked on everything between Model T's to 2018 Ford F150's.  That being said last fall I stopped at Autozone on a Sunday for a fuel pump.  The car is a 64 Mustang with a 260.  They could not locate one in the system.  How many 260-289's did Ford produce.  All they could locate were electric pumps not the mechanical ones.  When I needed lifters for my 368 my reliable dealer looked it up and said no problem.  They're the same as a 390. 

I have an all original, low mileage 1979 F250.  Only 73,000 miles.  I'm the third owner and I know the previous two.  I've had parts dealers tell me that you couldn't get a 460 in 79. 

The issue is to find a store that has knowledgeable people.  People who actually know cars and not simply how to 'Look it up on the computer".  

Reading This Topic

Site Meter