Profile Picture

Carb spacer for PCV hookup

Posted By PF Arcand 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 days ago
The above install photo is not CASCO, but will give you an idea of final appearance.

It is also a 2V install using the OEM later truck PCV adaptor at the valley pan (also later production).

The idea is to have the PCV fumes go directly into the intake carb plenum for equal distribution of fumes to all cylinders and not loading up of certain cylinders by themselves, leading to plug fouling/detonation.

See how the installer has placed a phenolic spacer above the aluminum spacer for heat transfer control?

56_Fairlane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I'm concerned about the heat transfer too. The PCV spacer is about thickness as my phenolic spacer I used before I started this conversion so I didn't change my studs. Maybe I should get longer studs to add the phenolic spacer?
I've got enough room under the hood on my '56.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

56_Fairlane (3/2/2018)

I'm concerned about the heat transfer too. The PCV spacer is about thickness as my phenolic spacer I used before I started this conversion so I didn't change my studs. Maybe I should get longer studs to add the phenolic spacer?

I've got enough room under the hood on my '56.

You have the CASCO spacer now?

You have a '56 with a '57 4V intake? What carb are you using?

The trouble with hi-stacking carb spacers is at some point it has an effect(s) on the flow characteristics of the mixture flow. You can actually chance HP/torque by varying height.

I wish I had come across this earlier as there is a phenolic spacer available 1/4" thick with the vacuum provision.

56_Fairlane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Yes I have the Casco spacer now but I haven't tried running the engine with it yet. I don't think it would be too tall to affect anything but heat transfer if I added the '57 phenolic spacer. It would probably only be about an inch thick if I added it. I realized I'd need another carb gasket if I did. I still have a few more things to do before I can start it up.
I'm running an Autolite 4100.
We've talked about my carb at the Barn or the HAMB before. Wink

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
57 R jim; Appreciate your suggestion, but as pointed out, the non flat underside of the Ford spacer likely won't match up with the raised edge B intake.. Kultulz; thanks for the excellent photo of an installation. I have a later valley pan to allow the PCV connection at the rear. However, I'm not going with an actual Casco setup due to the delivered cost here. Still looking into an alternative. The other concern that needs clarification for me is, the connection thru to the rear venturies of the carb?. Since the rear plates are closed normally, will the system work properly ?   

Paul
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
If the spacer is installed so that the port is on the secondary side, it will still be exposed to manifold vacuum so it will probably be ok in that respect.

Lawrenceville, GA
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I get 5/16 NC/NF studs at my local Sears Hardware store.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
I’ll suggest putting the PCV hookup in the rear of the carb spacer rather than at the front.  The vacuum signal is the same on both ends of the spacer and with the hookup at the back, there is more room under most carburetors at the secondary side.  The PCV hose will also be better hidden and out of the way.  The other option is to use the 3/8” nipple on the carb base if it has one.  That particular nipple is suitable either for a PCV hookup or power brakes.  It’s always a good idea to keep the power brakes and the PCV on separate connections if you have both.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

VERY GOOD INFO POSTED HERE-

PF Arcand (2/26/2018)

Scott: If you are presumably using a ECZ-B manifold & still dealing with the carb situation, before you spend more money on it..take the carb off & make sure you have a proper seal to the intake. Due to the raised design of the intake flange, larger 4 Bbl carb gaskets such as a #55 will barely seal if at all, causing a vacuum leak..   

56_Fairlane (3/2/2018)

Yes I have the Casco spacer now but I haven't tried running the engine with it yet. I don't think it would be too tall to affect anything but heat transfer if I added the '57 phenolic spacer. It would probably only be about an inch thick if I added it. I realized I'd need another carb gasket if I did. I still have a few more things to do before I can start it up.

I'm running an Autolite 4100.

We've talked about my carb at the Barn or the HAMB before. Wink

56 Fairlane-

As long as yours is not assembled yet, can you give the ID of the carb mounting throttle bores and the 4100 throttle bores, as well as the CASCO spacer?

I am trying to cipher on something... Wink

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/57c1f92e-4801-41be-ba2e-1470.jpg

.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a83b9cc4-6aef-4f38-9c23-8a90.jpg

OH!
On the actual valve. I would try to find NOS as it is machined and can be serviced regularly as opposed to a cheap aftermarket which may not be calibrated correctly.

56_Fairlane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Kultulz, sorry I finished putting it together yesterday. All the throttle bores were about the same size, including the carb. As you might recall from my other posts at the Barn, I'm using a '57 model 4100 Autolite with 1.08 venturis if that helps.
Hmm, which NOS PCV valve are you suggesting? I've read people have tried using different ones ranging from one from a 2.3L to the 460?

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter