Profile Picture

fuel pump leak

Posted By Gene Purser 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
There has been an oil spot under my fuel pump when parked. I can't get a good look because of the PS pump. I decided to take it off and see if it is a gasket, or what. The gasket was stuck tight and looked dry , but there is oil around this small hole jut out from the mounting base. Is this a typical place for an oil leak, or should I look somewhere else?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/356e3785-d827-47e6-87a8-fa5.jpeg
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 minutes ago
Gene, that hole is the vent for the back of the diaphragm.  Oil leaking from it means the seal on the diaphragm stem has failed.  I don't know if kits are still available, you may have to replace the pump.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Gene Purser
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Thanks John. With it already in a state unfit to put back on, I took the top cover off the pump. I found the stem seal (thanks for the term)  out of its seat. The rubber seal was good, so I just pushed it back up in its seat. It didn't take much pressure to re-seat it so it is possible there is too much clearance in the seat. I worked the diaphragm and stem several times and it stayed put, so I'm going to reinstall it and hope for the best. 

Thanks again for the diagnosis.
Gene
Collector947
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
You can get the kit when I got the whole engine gasket kit from felpro it had the fuel pump kit in there
Gene Purser
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

All I need is for the seal is to stay in its seat. When the rain stops I'll take it down the road to see if it is holding. If it doesn't hold I'll try something mechanical to hold it, or maybe an epoxy. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter