Profile Picture

Who Has Y Block Powered T Buckets???

Posted By Calkins 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I am thinking about building a '50's style tradition '23 T.  Apparently my father has most of the parts to build one, but probably not the parts that I want to use.  I might be buying a 272/four barrel soon, and would start with that.  I have a few C4 transmissions.  I would really like to use a T5, but my father keeps telling me don't even try it.  On a side note, my father worked for Speedy Bill Smith (Speedway Motors) for around ten years.  He designed a bunch of the products that I will probably be using or buying.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8375d8fd-1017-4817-b3a3-82c8.jpg
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
There's only a  dragster that I know of and I don't think anything on it is an original or even correct part.

Did he elaborate on why you should not even try a T5?  If a C4 is on the table, I can't think of a reason why a T5 should not even be tried as, without knowing the specifics of fitting either into a T Bucket, it should be easier to fit because it is smaller and will require a thinner, more common adapter.  That thinner, more common adapter should make it a much less expensive conversion, as well, with the trickiest part being working out the clutch linkage, which can be quite easy if you go with a hydraulic setup.

Lawrenceville, GA
Calkins
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)Normally aspirated (46 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I think the lack of floor space is why my father said I should not try to use a manual transmission.  Mounting three pedals, steering column, seat, and then trying to drive it.  It would be a chore, but I am not one to have "normal" stuff, or "what everyone else has".  But, in my defense, all T's had manuals at one point...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c4af2c1-2e18-4a92-8bdc-d9de.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c7fa92c5-66d1-4f41-a4f0-8d82.jpg
Joe-JDC
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Factory Five sells a fiberglass '33 roadster that uses modern drivetrain components from Mustangs.  It will accept almost any engine imaginable, especially the Coyote Ford, so a Y-Block would be easy.  Joe-JDC

JDC
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Floor space is the deal. My channeled 32 with the truck bell and the TKO500 is very limited. I can’t wear much more than a driving shoe and still get on the pedals. The clutch and brake are Model A pedals turned vertical, and the throttle is a spoon, so they’re pretty small. Model T’s had 3 pedals, but they weren’t channeled, and the column and seat height helped. Those 3 pedals were different than ours, too.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I had a T with a flathead and 3 speed and didn't have any problem with three pedals.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Shaggy
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
From an aesthetic standpoint the distance of the waterpump looks off on a non-hooded car. That said, a lot of cars in the day rocked any OHV motor they could find. For clearance i wouldnt hesitate to run a '39 style box. They are small enought to fit under a floor and a good tight box wont have issues on a light car with y-block power, also it's topshift which is a huge plus. As it goes with pedals, well you are building a model t, so you are fucked anyway. I have 2 1927 roadster projects in my garage right now, one has a 283 and the other has a 291 hemi, unless you want to go fancy joints or cowl steering, even steering box location is a fight. Just dive in and make stuff fit
LordMrFord
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
charliemccraney (2/14/2018)
There's only a  dragster that I know of and I don't think anything on it is an original or even correct part.

There is no single part from T model in that dragster.
Previous block was '57 but now, oldest part is the driver, I think. BigGrin

Hyvinkää, FI
LordMrFord
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
charliemccraney (2/14/2018)

There is no single part from T model in that dragster.
Previous block was '57 but now, oldest part is the driver, I think. BigGrin

Hyvinkää, FI

Reading This Topic

Site Meter