Profile Picture

Holley EFI

Posted By A_BURLY-WIND 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Anyone here running the holley efi steups? Looking at the sniper tbi. Wondering what to do as far as a distributor or if the 57+ ones will be fine with it.

Blood stains. Speed kills. Fast cars. Cheap thrills.
tarheel
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Good question.  I have no experience with them and I'd really like to hear from someone who has.

Larry
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If going to another form of induction on a 54/56 FYB, you need to go with the 57/ style distributor as the proper vacuum signal(s) cannot be supplied for the original Load-O-Matic feature.

Ideally, the later distributor should have at the least a PERTRONIX upgrade (IMO) to provide a hotter spark.

LordMrFord
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I dont know anything about bolt on EFIs but I think vacuum should come from manifold and dizzy should be locked.
So any distributor should be fine.
(1/4mile 8.1 with beated and loose stock dizzy cap and rotor) Smile
Pointless pickup is almost must thing to avoid noice on RPM signal.

Hyvinkää, FI
Dave C
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)

Check this out if you are going EFI just for drivability and economy on you Y, I am seriously considering this set up for mine.
Complete systems for 695.00, or you can save some by going to a local pick n pull and getting some of the parts. (throttle body, ecm, sensors)
You can buy just the prom and wiring harness. They will program the prom.
They also have a self learning system as well for 1400.00
https://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/product-category/tbi-kits/
I found them when I was doing some research on building my own system.

For what it's worth.

Dave

A_BURLY-WIND
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)

Thanks dave, if i do go efi i'll be running the holley because i can get it at a massive discount through my work so its not terribly costly. but im thinking it may be more headache than its worth.

Blood stains. Speed kills. Fast cars. Cheap thrills.
Dave C
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)Supercharged (250 reputation)

Your welcome.

I like the looks of the Holley or Fast systems a lot better just because they look more like a Holley carb. But I got to thinking about dependability and what if. My final goal with my old ford is to do the Hot Rod Power Tour. I was worried that if something was to go wrong, where or how long I would be sitting beside the road waiting to get parts. I thought the injection I posted would be best for parts availability since just about all of it can be purchased over the counter at any parts store.
Now after saying that I just remembered that most parts stores can also order just about anything and have it the next day as well..
If I was in your position and could get a Holley system as cheap. I would go Holley..

Decisions...lol

Dave

famdoc3
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I converted my e-manifold to twin throttle body fuel injection years ago. I used GM throttle bodies measured carefully when I made my adapter plates to get the spacing right so they would hide under my original aircleaner and then used an Accel gen 7 computer to run the system. I have never bothered to convert the timing to electronic but would never ever go back to the old Holleys again. Starts right away even after not having been driven for a few weeks and has low end power that it never had with the holleys, and it is all almost invisible under that big Twin Fours T'bird air cleaner. Last year finally bought a custom stainless fuel injection gas tank and couldn't be happier with the setup. These days you have lots of options that will likely run fantastic and "wake-up" your Yblock like you won't believe. They are modern reliable setups that will handle the new fuels and I know some will miss the old teapot fires but I am not one of them. MIKE

Mike, still lovin his 57 t'bird after 53 years!
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I can’t help with the current Holley set up, but I’d like to know how it works out, or whatever you choose. I’m running a gen 7 like famdoc, but using a Retrotek/Boss throttle body on a Blue Thunder manifold. Both these are discontinued items. Just a couple thoughts.

Find out what sensors they’re using. Mine were largely GM parts, but offshore versions. I had 2 TPS’s fail, and solved that by using original Delco parts. I also had an in tank fuel pump fail, again an off shore replacement. The TPS just gave erratic idle,and the fuel pump failed at the shop while they were doing the 3rd TPS under warranty, so I wasn’t stranded at least.

If you’re going to use the timing control, read the fine print. The Gen 7 needed a special signal that most point replacements wouldn’t supply, so I’ve got a Ford unit built in and the distributor locked down. There’s 3 ignition curves for WOT, part throttle, and light throttle. Those were another learning curve. Ask what’s needed if you plan on using that feature.

Even after setting everything on a chassis dyno, we probably spent over an hour with me driving and my computer guy tuning on a laptop before all the driveability issues were solved. Setting the fuel shut off on closed throttle coasting, the time delay for it to occur, and the turn on rpm are issues I had on an off topic setup, so look at that too.

I’m happy with both my modified EFI cars, but it didn’t go like the write up in the magazine where all was perfect right off.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Collector947
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I have two of these efis on my other cars I really like them none on a y block yet though they only take about an hour to put on heres on my Jeep

Reading This Topic

Site Meter