Profile Picture

58 Ford 2100 accelerator pump cavity filler

Posted By 59FE258Y 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I just rebuilt my 58's 2100 Ford carb. The ball weight, part #8, was missing. Made one from a small drill bit as best as I could using the illustrated parts breakdown. The accelerator pump cavity filler, part #44 was also missing, The car runs good, but missing that void filler has got to affect off the line performance. Does anyone have one or know where one can be purchased? If not I'll try making one. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.
NoShortcuts
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
59FE258Y.  I'm not clear on the part you are in need of for your Autolite 2100 carburetor.

Walker is an excellent source for different manufacturers' carburetor parts and kits. What's ideal in ordering from them is you can order exactly what you need (IF they make it) and there are no minimum quantities or minimum purchase amounts.

Click the link below to go to the Autolite 2100 page on their web site.
https://carburetion.walkerproducts.com/ford-motorcraft/ford-carburetor-kit-2bbl-2100/

Hope this helps!   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Tedster
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The earlier 2100 Autolites used a different type of accelerator pump assembly, consisting of a phenolic-like filler piece, and a ball check similar to #37. They can be identified visually by the large screw, #35, on top of the accelerator pump chamber. This retains the ball check.

The red umbrella check valve came later, around 1964. I'd think it's one less rubber part to get buggered with modern fuels so in that sense it's a good thing but parts are a little tougher to find.
59FE258Y
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)

Thanks for the info NoShortcuts and Tedster. The diagram I posted, calls part #44 a Cavity filter, the sheet in the rebuild kit calls part #44 a Cavity filler. NoShortcuts, I looked up the Walker website you posted and there are eight pages of parts for the 2100, but no cavity filler. I called them today and they don't have it. They referred me to a man named Steve and he suggested going to a junkyard and looking for an old 2100. I did add their website to my Favorites list. I think they have everything else I might ever need. Tedster, you nailed the 2100 in my '58. It has the #35 large screw and ball check #37. It has part #'s 40, 41, 42(replaced by part #'s 62 and 65) and part -#43, but no #44 pump cavity filler. Steve thought maybe it was to keep the spring in place. It seems to me filling that void would make the diaphragm create more pressure and a larger shot of fuel. Thanks again for the info, I do appreciate it.
Tedster
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Ask Mike at Mike's Carburetors, he is old enough to have seen them, it won't be a mystery at least, he'll know what you're asking about. He's pretty good at answering email. They are pre-64 carburetors that have the different design. They also use Holley jets, unlike later carburetors, which is kind of nice if you need to experiment.

It's definitely not a filter, it just takes up room in the accelerator pump chamber. It only fits or installs one way, I don't recall seeing them for sale anywhere. The spring just screws into the body of the carb there. I don't know what it does, but it was strange to see it after rebuilding several carbs with the umbrella lookin' deal. What wizardry is this!??
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Greetings to all:  I'm thinking the purpose of the cavity filler is to keep the vapor pocket to a minimum which may collect at the top of he pump chamber.  The fuel enters the chamber at a relatively high point in the chamber where it could pick up a gulp of vapor. The newer design using the umbrella check is much lower in the chamber and that chamber is much smaller.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/786d5367-27d5-492a-9804-7816.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6a0fe5ac-8caf-4bc6-96b7-a54c.jpg

Just my theory as to the cavity filler's purpose.  I'll try to post a couple pic of the device. Hope this helps, JEFF..............       

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
59FE258Y
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Thanks for the tip Tedster, I wrote Mike's Carburetor Parts an email and hopefully he'll have the part or know somewhere I can get it. Apparently it's not very critical. The car runs good without it, I just hate to lose any performance gains it might have provided. Thanks for the pictures Jeff, it's the first time I've actually seen what it is that I'm looking for. It's good to know they still exist.  
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
I stand corrected - did some research and found this information regarding the purpose of the filler device:  An air bleed in the wall of the accelerating pump fuel chamber prevents vapor entrapment and pressure build-up in the diaphragm chamber. An accelerating pump cavity filler,located in the accelerating pump fuel chamber, decreases the volume of the accelerating pump cavity. The filler improves the rate of fuel delivery, and prevents engine stumble and hesitation on acceleration. So there you have it, the published explanation of this elusive device. Hope this helps, JEFF.....................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
59FE258Y
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Thank you for researching that Jeff. I was thinking/ hoping that was the case. It would explain the newer version with the little umbrella valve and no cavity filler having a much smaller chamber. That little umbrella valve had to be a lot cheaper to manufacture than that cavity filler piece, times a couple million. The car does hesitate/ stumble when the accelerator is aggressively applied. 
Tedster
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Bringing this one back up for a question.

The earlier, pre-64 2100 uses two (2) ball checks as part of the accelerator pump circuit. No plastic. Does anyone know the actual diameter of these ball checks and/or particularly are they both the same size?

It looks there is some siphoning action going on with the carb I'm using, and it wouldn't surprise me if the reman shop got it wrong. The diagram shown here is truncated, so item #37 and #9 are the ones in question.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter