Profile Picture

317 '54 Lincoln - Any suggested transmission swap options?

Posted By 54Lincoln 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

317 '54 Lincoln - Any suggested transmission swap options?

Author
Question Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I have a 54 Lincoln with the 317 & original transmission. The Y-Block is still going strong but transmission may need to some upgrading soon. Any suggestions? I have seen some adapters but not sure and am hoping someone on here has some experience with what would be a good swap. 
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Just out of curiosity, what transmission is in it now?

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
54Lincoln
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)

Hello.

The transmission in it now is a GM Hydra-Matic automatic, it is the original. I read somewhere that GM supplied them to Lincoln. I was trying to dig up more info as far as a model number.
Lord Gaga
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I'd keep the Hydra-Matic!
How do you use the car?
Except for no torque converter (has a fluid coupling) what more could you ask for?

"FREE SAMPLE"
54Lincoln
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Lord Gaga (1/17/2018)
I'd keep the Hydra-Matic!
How do you use the car?
Except for no torque converter (has a fluid coupling) what more could you ask for?

I use to mostly cruise around locally. I live SoCal so I do use the freeways and have made a couple of car shows that are 100 miles in each direction. I talked to a guy today that has rebuilt a few 52-54 Lincoln transmissions. He says to keep it or replace the whole drive train. It's $3985 to rebuild. w00t
Dobie
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
AOD swap out of the question? That would certainly improve the gas mileage if nothing else.

Wilcap has a 317 to Scrubby automatic kit for $695.

http://www.wilcap.com/wilcapstore.html#!/368-350-AT/p/54397300/category=14420225

The same kit from Bendtsen's is twice the price for some reason...or no reason.
54Lincoln
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

That's what I was thinking. I think he was a little biased to adapting another transmission because he seemed more like a stock guy. He was really knowledgeable so he named all the cons of a swap. I have to keep doing the research.. 
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Given the odd ratios by today’s standards those transmissions used, a swap would be tough without doing the rear end too. I knew they were expensive to go thru, but for that number I might call around a bit. Drylakesracer had a recent post about a cruise o he had done by an old timer, might be worth reading that. IIRC it was Art Carr who did the work. He probably knows how to build a hydra.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
tarheel
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Interesting subject.  Most people are unaware that Lincolns around that time used GMC Hydramatics, as did Jaguar and Rolls Royce.  Jaguar and Rolls Royce used them for their smoothness and reliability.  Lincoln used them to help them win the Carrera Panamericana Mexico border-to-border race and they did win in1954 (I think it was).
In my opinion the Hydramatics are not that complicated (I rebuilt a few a long time ago, so long ago that I may not remember all that well) and the Hydramatic' s performance is hard to beat.  In the late 50s and early 60s I used to run a '55 Olds in the C Automatic class and very few cars could beat it, usually only other Hydramatic equipped cars.  I drove that car on many 1,000 mile or more trips with no transmission problems.  As I say, age has dimmed some memories and maybe brightened a few, but I still consider that Olds as probably the best pre-1980 car I ever owned.
Larry
Lord Gaga
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
A friend had a '52 Olds 88 with a Hydramatic and I rode in and drove it a good bit. I was impressed by the transmission. I think they are relatively simple to rebuild, might have a problem finding parts. It's possible yours just needs a good "tune up".
I guess most people know that the Hydramatic plant burned down (not sure when) and GM used Dynaflows (the original "Slush Box") across their line...maybe you could find one of those, it would be a bolt in! LOL

"FREE SAMPLE"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter