Profile Picture

Fuel Gauge problem

Posted By Danny 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
My 1956 Ford Crown Victoria will run out of gas when the fuel gauge reading is just below the one quarter tank indicator. Any way to correct this? It has the 292 V-8 with the Fordomatic transmission and stock 17.5 gallon fuel tank and stock fuel gauge and sending unit. Thanks,
Dobie
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Your float is hitting the bottom of the tank prematurely.You need to bend the float arm up a bit. This is a somewhat fiddly process as you'll need to remove the sender, bend the arm and reinstall repeatedly until you find the sweet spot. There may be other, better methods but that's how I do it.
Lou
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
I think you have that backwards, the float is not hitting the bottom of the tank soon enough, but your method of fixing it is right on.
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
.Drain the tank.  Then put about two gallons in it.  Then adjust the float till it reads empty.  That way, when you see it reading empty, you know you have two gallons to find a gas station.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Dobie
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Lou (12/7/2017)
I think you have that backwards, the float is not hitting the bottom of the tank soon enough, but your method of fixing it is right on.

You're right! My lysdexia must be again in kicking...Blush
Gene Purser
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Lou (12/7/2017)

The angle of the float arm AT THE RESISTOR unit is where the reading comes from. If you bend the arm upwards between the resistor and the float it will allow the arm at the resistor to go lower before the float hits the bottom. 

That said, the aftermarket sending units aren't compatible with the King-Seeley gauges. If the sending unit is aftermarket most people don't get accurate readings throughout the scale. Your best bet is to get it where it reads somewhat accurate at empty. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter