Profile Picture

Smells Like Gas?

Posted By Florida_Phil 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
After a lengthy drive, when I park my '55 TBIrd in my garage it always smells like gas.  This worries my wife because she thinks it will explode.  I've checked the car front to back numerous times and it's not leaking anywhere.  The engine is a rebuilt stock '55 292 with all '57 top end and distributor.  The carb is a new Holley 1848-1 465 cfm on a '57 iron intake.  The idle screws are set 1 1/2 turns out.  The air cleaner is an after market item.  I thought the engine may be running rich so I adjusted the idle screws in and it didn't idle well, so I put them back to 1 1/2 turns and it runs great.  Is this normal for a Y Block?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Tedster
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Are we talking about raw fuel odors? That is dangerous, and you'd need to look for a leak.

A misadjusted carburetor can cause acrid exhaust fumes, not pleasant but isn't going to go boom. Make sure timing is straight w/ good hot ignition and float height is correct. Idle mixture is important, it doesn't take much of an adjustment to make big changes in the air fuel ratio. Lean both mixture screws (turn clockwise) equally a little bit at a time say a quarter or eighth of a turn until the engine RPM just starts to fall off. Right in there is where you want, maybe slightly richer from there.
Florida_Phil
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I'm not sure about the smell.  It definitely smells like it's running rich.  I'll try turning in the idle screws a little at a time and see if it helps.  There is no raw fuel on the intake or carb and none on the floor.  I am running a dual vacuum fuel pump with one vacuum line open and one capped.  I don't see any fuel leaking from the fuel pump or lines.  If the timing is retarded, could this cause the odor?   I'm not sure my timing mark is right, so I timed my engine with a vacuum gauge.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

dbird
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

I had a similar issue with smelling gas after parking, turned out to be the hose from the fuel line to  the pump had rotted, possibly from ethanol laced gas as the hose was fairly new at about two years.  The replacement hose only lasted about a year.  I replaced it with one from Prestige that looks to be a better quality and has been going strong for a year and a half.  Interesting though, the hose only leaked when the engine was running and there was suction from the pump.

Don
55 'Bird, 56 F100
DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I had smell from the sending unit on the top of the fuel tank and it was tough to find. Was worse when the tank was just filled. Lucky there is a cover in the trunk and I replace he gasket. I too worry about hoses and I only have the one from the line to the pump. I use Sta-Bil with fill up and have yet to have a problem in 5 years.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Greetings to all:  Florida Phil - you mentioned all is dry and an aftermarket air filter has been installed.  My thoughts are: After a hot shutdown, the carb takes on a lot of heat, along with the residual raw fuel vapors in the intake manifold, rising up through the open air filter element.  Sniffing along the edges of the hood a few minutes after a hot shutdown may reveal this. Hope this helps, JEFF....

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
As was mentioned, look at the sending unit at the tank.  The gasket may be going bad and letting some gas leak around it but not enough to cause spillage on the ground

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I’m as afraid of leaking gasoline as anybody. I grew up on gasoline powered boats, and someone (usually Dad) went aboard alone and lifted the hatches, then started the blowers. So fuel leaks are serious. But don’t forget our new cars have a dry manifold (EFI), and sealed gas tank vents with canisters, etc. On our old cars a little fuel smell from the tank vent or thru the carb and air filter will always be there when you shut it down on a hot day. My bird always boiled the Edelbrock carb when shut down and was hard to start. After a couple car shows I realized if I put the hood up and let the heat go, problem solved. Be cautious, but times have changed. You might just have the “old” normal.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
junkyardjeff
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
I get a little gas smell from my 55 after shutting it off and I think its just coming out of the vents in the carb.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
Florida_Phil
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the tips.  All the fuel connections in the engine bay are new.  I'll take a look at the gas tank connection in the back as well as the tank gasket.  If I don't find anything, I'll cover the engine when I park it and see if the smell gets any better.  The car runs great with no issues.  I'm sure the tune is close as it fires up on the first turn every time and pulls strong to 5,000 rpm through the gears

Reading This Topic

Site Meter