Profile Picture

Wonders never cease! Modified Edelbrock 553 manifold

Posted By Doug T 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I am not selling this and it isn't mine. It shows what pretty good craftsmanship can do without much engineering to back it up.  I found on Craigslist under this post id: 6371247451 it is located in Washington Indiana. 

https://images.craigslist.org/00o0o_gCMX6bA6ilJ_1200x900.jpg

Doug T

The Highlands, Louisville, Ky.

NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Doug T.  Help me understand WHAT I am looking at!  Is this some sort of a tunnel ram adapter for a dual plane intake manifold??? It does not make sense to me based on my perception of what I think I'm looking at!   Hehe

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If I recall correctly, the 553 is the small port Edelbrock tripower manifold. I don’t know if it’s a dual plane from all 3 carbs, or just a central carb plenum down under the center carb like the Offy manifold. Either way, I’m not sure why you’d do all that work to make it into what looks like an open plenum top to a dual plane below.

That said, it doesn’t make any sense to me either.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
LordMrFord
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Maybe manifold is opened up and adapter is glued to it.
Or is it someshort water intercooler for supercharged applications?

Hyvinkää, FI
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
That’s an interesting configuration but hard to tell much about it from that single picture.  The Craigslist number comes up a blank when I try to pull it up.  Do you have a link to the original Craigslist ad?

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

PF Arcand
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
It's certainly  a large plenum adaption to fit a 4 Bbl to the 553 intake. From what I've seen or heard about large ram style plenum adaptions, most aren't  very successful, especially at street RPMs. Probably why it's for sale?. Anyway, he could have saved the effort & bought a Blue Thunder or Mummert intake...     

Paul
Doug T
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Guys,
I nearly fell out of my chair laughing about this intake but I have tried to upload the other two pics and was having difficulty. I also checked the Craigslist reference number in the first post and it lead me right to the original listing.  You might try Graigslist for Louisville and then plug the ref number again.

What the insides look like is anybody's guess.  As someone else has noted here, the E 553 is not as high flowing as the 573 but I sort of doubt that the person who built it had that much Y block specific knowledge. 

it sort of reminds me of the Iron 3 deuce manifold that was on e bay once.  Someone built with weld-on 3 bolt flanges.  The stock center flange and the front flange faced forward but the back one was reversed.  Crazy It was people like these that helped perpetuate all the bad press the Y got and still gets to some extent 

Doug T

The Highlands, Louisville, Ky.

Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Doug.  Thanks for the Louisville location.  That was the key to finding the post.  Unfortunately there are still not enough pictures on the ad to determine what’s happening within the plenum though.  Would like to test that manfold and see how it compares to the other manifolds in that category though.  I suspect performance with that open box plenum design will take a step backwards.

Here’s the link.
https://louisville.craigslist.org/pts/d/intake-ford-block/6371247451.html

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

GREENBIRD56
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Probably a case of "necessity is the mother of invention" design work. Fellow see's a high plenum Chebby part - wants to try on a Y-blk. Has no access to a dyno, not a lot of dinero - just the ability to build one and try it out. 
A whole lot of neat stuff has been designed by the "seat of the pants" method........

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

Reading This Topic

Site Meter