Profile Picture

Y BLOCK HEAD BOLTS REPLACEMENT

Posted By Chapingo17 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I'm in the process of replacing a broken bolt on a head of a y block 292 and while I'm there I want to replace all head bolts to eliminate future problems. Does anyone know were can I buy new head bolts? I also called barn hill bolt and told me they have the right grade but on 4.0",4.5",2.5". Could I get away with adding washers to match acquired length? The original bolts are 4.32", 4.06" and 2.13" long. Would I have enough clearance?
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Chapingo17.  John Mummert is a good source for y-block performance and service parts.
John's website is Ford-y-block.com

John's price list for most parts he supplies can be accessed by clicking the link below . . .
http://www.ford-y-block.com/price_sheet.htm
Near the end of the parts list is a listing for ARP fasteners.  Look at part no 154-HBK for the y-block ARP cylinder head bolts.

John's phone number for questions and help is 619-596-0312 in California.

Hope this helps!  Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
LordMrFord
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Chapingo17 (12/1/2017)
Could I get away with adding washers to match acquired length? The original bolts are 4.32", 4.06" and 2.13" long. Would I have enough clearance?

Yes. Double washers for 3 upper/middle bolts. Washers have be strong enough too.
I dont if there are different deeps on boltholes but in my case that worked.

Hyvinkää, FI
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
John Mummert offers a ARP grade eight bolt kit for the Y engines.  These have chamfered washers that must be installed with the chamfer facing up or against the bolt head.  When dealing with replacement bolts that have washers, always install the bolts first without the washers to insure that the bolt heads bottom out to the cylinders heads.  This will insure that the bolt holes are deep enough to properly tighten when the head bolt washers are installed.

If using store bought replacement bolts (grade eight is preferable) without washers, then it will take some careful measuring to insure that the bolts are not longer than the holes they are being threaded into.  Any washers being used should also be grade eight.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

2721955meteor
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

if you live near a cat dealer there grad 8 bolts are top notch. the long ones need a bit trimed,also there hardened washers are superior to hardware suppliers. i have used 2 sets work great,thick heads, for sure grade 8 . i use there grade 8 bolts and hard washers on exhaust manifolds,they stay tight,un like the crap henley used
jumpstart
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Another Great Source for bolts and I use them all the time is Caterpillar tractor . There grade 8 bolts are harder then the other Bolts, Plus they have the ones that have the built in  Washer.
If you do not believe it, try to drill one out  The other grade 8 bolts are easy to drill out.
2721955meteor
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

jumpstart (12/10/2017)
Another Great Source for bolts and I use them all the time is Caterpillar tractor . There grade 8 bolts are harder then the other Bolts, Plus they have the ones that have the built in  Washer.
If you do not believe it, try to drill one out  The other grade 8 bolts are easy to drill out.

cat dealer is no longer called caterpillar tractor(cat in there wisdom felt tractor no longer represented there business)as i worked for a dealer for maney years and still like the tractor in there name.. gues we show our age with our terms. have a good day cliff in canada

Reading This Topic

Site Meter