Profile Picture

Thunderbird Power Brake Questions

Posted By Florida_Phil 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
My '55 Thunderbird has lousy brakes.  I've rebuilt or replaced everything from the master cylinder to the brake pads.  I have a good pedal, but the thing just won't stop like I want it to.   I know I can convert the car to disks, but I don't want to butcher it and I definitely want to keep the stock wheels. I'm thinking about installing a power brake booster kit.  Does anyone know what I need?  Will this make things any better?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Do you want a stock booster or one that goes on the firewall (aftermarket)?  For a stock setup, check with the Tbird parts suppliers that handle used parts (CASCO, Hill's) for the booster assembly as I don't think the parts are repro'd).  Brackets, lines and most other parts are available new.  For aftermarket items, some one here should have some info. 

I have some other names for stock parts if interested.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

PF Arcand
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
A Power Booster should improve mechanical advantage some, but it won't do much for fade if that's a concern. One outfit that advertised such an item with a dual chamber master cylinder, is Master Power Brakes (as seen in Hemmings) The Ad I saw was for a 1956 car with original 15" wheels. They are @ mpbrakes.com or 800-472-4181.  This is just basic information, I was interested for my 57 Fairlane, but haven't persued it any further...  

N.B.- According to an article in Hemmings Classic car some time back. The brake shoe materials now on the market since Asbestos was removed from brake shoe manufacturing, is less compatible with old style brake drums than original materials, resulting in even worse performing old style brakes..

Paul
oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
Florida_Phil (11/8/2017)
My '55 Thunderbird has lousy brakes.  I've rebuilt or replaced everything from the master cylinder to the brake pads.  I have a good pedal, but the thing just won't stop like I want it to.   I know I can convert the car to disks, but I don't want to butcher it and I definitely want to keep the stock wheels. I'm thinking about installing a power brake booster kit.  Does anyone know what I need?  Will this make things any better?

Tee-Bird.com sells a complete Kit to install original Type Power Brakes. $650.00. Tee-Bird are  good helpful People to deal with. Check out their On-line Catalog at Tee-Bird.com.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Florida_Phil
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

N.B.- According to an article in Hemmings Classic car some time back. The brake shoe materials now on the market since Asbestos was removed from brake shoe manufacturing, is less compatible with old style brake drums than original materials, resulting in even worse performing old style brakes..

I thought about this myself and believe the new shoe compound is the problem.  I don't remember the old drum brakes being that bad.  The car stops fine in stop and go traffic. I don't drive hard enough to worry about fade.  What worries me is if I have to stop suddenly from speed.  I should be able to lock up the brakes and I can't.   For now, I'll stay off the expressway.   There are so many things I would like to add to my car that would bring it up to modern performance.  I worry that my modifications will go too far and I'll just end up with a car that looks like an old TBird, but isn't.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
If you are concerned with it being mostly original, then I can understand the dilemma.  However, you can do a lot to that car to modernize it without anyone having a clue.  For instance, disc brakes all the way around will only be noticeable with the wheels off.  From the outside, it can look like the same classic T-Bird.  Original radios can be modified to have FM blue tooth, etc, and look absolutely stock.  There's even fuel injection that looks like a carburetor, if you want to modernize it that way and still have a somewhat authentic look.  Lots can be done to the engine while maintaining the stock look although the sound will be hard to hide.

If you want modern performance and features with the classic look, it absolutely can be had and for the most part, only you will know.  Build it the way you want but save the original parts for future owners who may want to make it stock again.

Lawrenceville, GA
Pete 55Tbird
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Phil, I put front disk brakes on my 55Tbird over 15 years ago. I used a kit from Master Power Brakes. Sometime after I bought my kit I contacted MPB with a question but they had gone through a bankruptcy and the new management did not have any info about me or the kit I had bought. This kit was NON POWERED.
Anyway, I still have the stock 15 inch wheels and use a dual master cylinder with a brake proportioning valve and NO booster. The brakes are GOOD but do need a lot of foot force to stop. so if your used to a modern  cars brakes it seem wrong. Before I switched to disks I did have the power brake booster and I felt that the brakes were too twitchy ( over sensitive ) so I ended up pulling the booster off and the drum brakes were OK for 1 or 2 stops in heavy traffic then would fade away. That's why the disks.
It was a GOOD MOVE. Pete
slumlord444
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago

I installed Kelvar linings when I installed the stock power brake unit on my '57
Bird many years back. Not as good as power disk but much better than what I had before. Still working pretty well. Thinking about power disk but haven't convinced myself yet.

Florida_Phil
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I called T-Bird.com to inquire about their power brake upgrade kit.  They told me their kit was better than stock drums, but not the best solution.  I upgraded a 1965 Mustang to front disks before using a dual master cylinder and Granada calipers.  It stopped much better, but it did change a lot of the hardware and the wheels needed to be changed as well.  I'm not looking for modern car performance, just safety.  I may look into an alternative to the stock brake shoes.  I believe I should be able to lock up the wheels on hard braking and I can't do that as it is.

oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
I changed my 56 using Granada Spindles and Brakes. I believe the 15 Inch Rims are the same as used on your Bird. The Hub of the Granada Rotors had to be turned down a little  bit in Diameter to fit into the center opening on the Stock Rims. Other than that there was no problem using Stock Steel Rims.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter