Profile Picture

1956 Mercury Turn Signal Switch

Posted By lalkie 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I have a 56 merc montclair with a burned out signal light switch.  My book indicates the part number for the switch is FDT 14486-A.  Lincoln Mercury Old Parts Store has a NOS switch for $175.00.  Macs list a 56 ford switch  B8A-13341-A that says Ford only.  I contacted them.  They indicated it would probably work.  Has anyone used this switch on a 56 Mercury?  Part number FEK-14486-A indicates it will fit a 57 Ford  and looks exactly like the 56 Ford one and my 56 Mercury including the same color wires.  Does anyone know what the difference FEK an FDT.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Larry

Larry
oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 days ago
quote]lalkie (10/16/2017)
I have a 56 merc montclair with a burned out signal light switch.  My book indicates the part number for the switch is FDT 14486-A.  Lincoln Mercury Old Parts Store has a NOS switch for $175.00.  Macs list a 56 ford switch  B8A-13341-A that says Ford only.  I contacted them.  They indicated it would probably work.  Has anyone used this switch on a 56 Mercury?  Part number FEK-14486-A indicates it will fit a 57 Ford  and looks exactly like the 56 Ford one and my 56 Mercury including the same color wires.  Does anyone know what the difference FEK an FDT.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Larry
[/quote]
I have a 56 Mercury Catalog dated 1955, The Part # in there is FDL-14486-A which may be changed to FDT-14486-A in the later Catalogs. Dennis Carpenter has a lot of NOS Parts not listed on His regular Website. You might try a Phone Call to them and see if they have either of those Part #'s in their NOS Stash. You might also try Green Auto Sales who are Obsolete Ford Parts Business. They show out of Stock on both those #'s but doesn't mean its up to Date. They may know where they can get One or if something else will work.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
John Didde
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I used the one from Macs, on my 56 merc had to modify the side, ground off the side to make fit, works great
lalkie
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)

Thanks for the help.  I probably go with the one from mac's.  It may mount differently but should work with the wiring.  I will also check other options.  Thanks again.  Larry

Larry
John Didde
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)

Mounting holes are the same, just remove the material on the side
lalkie
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

John is correct.  I removed the material on the side and it works well.  Thanks Larry

Larry
John Didde
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I am finally putting my turn signal spring on cant figure how the spring goes, would someone put a picture how the spring mounts on 56 merc

Reading This Topic

Site Meter