Profile Picture

Steering binding sticking

Posted By ianmatt 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi folks. Looking for a bit of help with steering on my 59. All stock steering and I have been driving it tons for the last two years. Last week I noticed that after making a left or right turn when coming back to straight there's a bit of binding. I dont know what to look for when under there or how to test this. Looking for some instructions on where to start. I havnt gotten the truck off the ground yet but planning to do that in about an hour. Anyone have this issue and what was the problem? Thanks 
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Have you checked the oil in the steering box?

Have the components in the steering been greased?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

ianmatt
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)

I have not yet Paul. But I will, was holding off for some info from the forum of where to start. I wanted to get the front off the ground today and ran out of time. Planning to tackle tomorrow after work. Thanks
Dobie
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Assuming the steering box oil is up to the proper level (not usually the case after all these years) you need to get it up on a frame lift or jack stands and disconnect the drag link from the pitman arm to isolate the steering box from the linkage. Next turn the wheels lock to lock to see if you can feel any binding. If you can feel binding try to see what's causing it. If you don't feel any binding then the problem is inside the steering box and it's time to rebuild it. Did you try adjusting the worm and sector mesh with the adjustment screw on top of the box? If so that may be the cause of the binding. The screw should only be adjusted with the steering on center and only in small increments. The box is designed so that the steering feels tight on center and loosens up in turns. Getting it too tight on center will make it bind in turns.
ianmatt
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Very awesome Dobie thank you. I really wish I had time to go through it how you have suggested. I have to go out of town for work so it will have to be next weekend. I will make sure to update the thread here with what i find. Thank you
PF Arcand
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
You didn't say, is this non power steering? .. In any case, if all else checks out, you may have a worm or sector that has suffered a hard casing failure.
It has been a fairly common problem with older 55-56 & 57 boxes. In 1958 Ford up dated to a recirculating ball design, so it could be that the bearings are failing.  In the case of Power Steering, I suspect that the habit many drivers have of turning the wheel with the car not rolling, puts a lot of load on steering components..   

Paul
57RancheroJim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

The OP said it's a truck. Same crappy worm and sector steering box through 1960 ( ask me how I know :-) ). They didn't go to a recirculating ball type until 1961 in the trucks.
ianmatt
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hey Jim I am very interested in the recirculating ball type? can you tell me more about that and is it easily fitable to my 59? have any links to one that can be purchased? thank you
miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
If you google “1959 ford truck steering conversion” you’ll get a bunch of info. Most are going to be power steering conversions, but there are some manual. From my experience I’d stay away from the rack and pinion conversions. Getting the geometry right, even with the beam axle, can be a problem. I’d guess the major players, like Borgenson and Fatman are probably the best bet for good engineering. And ask about exhaust clearance, based on your manifolds and plans for the truck if any.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
57RancheroJim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

ianmatt (10/30/2017)
Hey Jim I am very interested in the recirculating ball type? can you tell me more about that and is it easily fitable to my 59? have any links to one that can be purchased? thank you
I gave that a try many years ago on my 1960 F100, total disaster. Had to drill the frame for mounting but could never get the column to come out on the right angle, very uncomfortable to drive. I didn't have the later column and cut the original to fit. I ended rebuilding the worm and sector box and putting it back in. I've had to replace the sector shaft bushings a few times over the years since, worm and sector have been fine, just bushing wear and that can cause a lot of slop. A lot of the wear is caused by my over size tires..

Reading This Topic

Site Meter