Profile Picture

Have a new Lincoln 279. Need all info you got

Posted By skyhunter 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Just got a EAL 279 that will be going into a Model A.

Not looking to boost performance per se.  Just love the look and sound of a Y-Block.

However, would love any suggestions for upgrades, changes, improvements, etc.

What fits, what interchanges.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1959 Edsel Ranger, 1916 Ford "speedster"
"I may not be a rich man, but I can give you a million dollars' worth of bad publicity."
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
You don’t mention the year model of your 279 engine which will make a difference on what little parts interchange there is.  The 279 is in the LYB (Lincoln Y-Block) family of engines and not much on those engines will interchange with the Ford/Mercury Y-Block.  The 279 is the baby of the bunch and is essentially a 317 with a smaller bore size.

The LYB engines were introduced in 1952 while the Y-Block engines were introduced in 1954.  While the Ford Y-Block family of engines includes the 239, 256, 272, 292 & 312, the LYB family includes the 279, 302, 332, & 368 engines.  The LYB engines eventually morphed into the FE family of engines as they both share the same bore centers.  The Ford/Mercury Y-Blocks evolved into the SBF family of engines which also share the same bore centers.

About the only piece that directly interchanges between these two families of engines is the oil pump.  Like the Y-Block, the LYB engines also used a tang style distributor and oil pump early on before switching to a hex drive distributor and oil pump.  Both the Y-Block and LYB engines went from tang to hex drive at the distributor and oil pump for the 1955 models.  Distributors can be interchanged if using the appropriate distributor gear for the particular year and engine family you’re dealing with.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

skyhunter
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)Supercharged (206 reputation)

It's from a 54 Fire Truck.

Mostly looking for an intake option for duals.  Also converting to a spin on oil filter if possible.

Did they have the same oiling problem that the Ford Y-Blocks have?

Any sources for Lincoln parts and upgrades?

"I may not be a rich man, but I can give you a million dollars' worth of bad publicity."
2721955meteor
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
skyhunter (10/2/2017)
Just got a EAL 279 that will be going into a Model A.

Not looking to boost performance per se.  Just love the look and sound of a Y-Block.

However, would love any suggestions for upgrades, changes, improvements, etc.

What fits, what interchanges.

Thanks in advance for any help.
seams to me the truck engines had a gear driven cam(no chain) i worked on the 332 truck versions they had gear driven cams. i has access to a 4v intake tho you would need to ask ted if the later engines have same intakes. ct1940@ shaw.ca

skyhunter
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Of course I was told this was a 279.  I don't know for sure.  But it has EAL by the Distributer

Pulled the valve covers off and it looks cleaner than my Edsel 292.

There are drain plugs like on a radiator on both sides of the block.  Not sure if this was stock or something the FD mechanic did years ago.

Have to pull the heads as it will only turn half way both ways after not turning at all until after a couple of days soak.  Must be something
on one of the pistons.

What is a good source for an overhaul kit?  gaskets, rings etc.

Still has the original carb, dist and governor.

Will any of the spin on oil filter conversion kits work with this?

Lou
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
If the 368 intake will fit your engine you have haft a chance for some hop-up and dress-up parts both factory and aftermarket. I know nothing about these engines except they were good MD and HD truck engines. Talk to the Lincoln / Mercury guys.

skyhunter
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I am trying to talk to Lincoln/Mercury guys.

That's why I posted here.

who better?

Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
'Edmunds' made both 3X2 and dual quad intakes for the LYB engines.  I see those for sale on EBay every once in awhile but getting one quicker would likely happen by posting a WTB (wanted to buy) on the various forums.  Besides the classifieds on this forum, I would suggest also the HAMB site.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

RB
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
As far as rebuild parts try Falcon Global on Ebay or Egge machine.. My guess is pistons will be a problem.. If it needs to be bored you might as well make a 317 out of it.Speed parts are very scarce (read expensive)  Edmunds made a 2x2 and 2x4 intake and that is about it.  . I don't think the truck engines went to gear drive cam till the 302/332 came out. 279 and 317 should have a timing chain and solid lifters. You could also upgrade the ignition by dumping the governed distributor and using the later car stuff. As far as eye candy the Lincoln script valve covers are very cool.. 56-57 Continental valve covers are very striking and there are repo 57 M-335 finned covers available. The 12 inch clutch/ big cast iron bell might be a bit clumsy in your hot rod but it is about the only option for a stick transmission..
skyhunter
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Also it had a manual.
Anyone know what housing and auto trans will hook up to this Big Block Y?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter