Profile Picture

Disc Brake conversions, for 57 car

Posted By PF Arcand 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Is there a front disc brake conversion kit available for 1957 Ford cars?. Over time I've seen incomplete info on cobbling together parts thru salvage yards & auto parts stores but nothing comprehensive in the way of a reasonably complete kit of new parts.. Recently I found one outfit, Classic Brakes in Texas that listed a kit, but an e mail went unanswered & afterwards I read there return policy, which includes a 20% restocking charge & in store credit only policy, which nixs doing any business with them. Has anybody found a satisfactory kit elsewhere?.  Thanks    

Paul
miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
You might try American Braking systems. I used one of their kits on a friend's 56 Nomad, and they had the best one to fit 14" wheels, which I think your car has. A lot of 14" pre disc rims won't fit over most disc kits. They did move the front wheels outboard a bit, but he's got reversed rims that add to the problem. Be worth asking that, too. They show a Ford kit, but I can't get it to open on the network I'm on now. Might be worth a look.

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/maincatalog_frameset015.html

Sorry, that link is for the 56, which did open. The 57 to 64 full size car is on there too.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Rono
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Did you look into a "Drop and Stop" kit?

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Richard
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

http://www.dropnstop.com/ Dave Gully is the best
PF Arcand
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Guys, thanks for the info.. American brake systems seems to have a fairly comprehesive setup to fit a 1957 car.. however, their web site is dated 2010 (are they still in business?) & the hang up for me is shipping to Canada. It states that 1st shipments must go directly to the credit card billing address & that UPS will not ship to a Postal drop box. (in Blaine Washington). Those two requirements will cost me extra for brokerage charges & additional handling & raises the possibility of extra import duties & taxes, if the parts are not described properly.  Will have to look into it further. .. My e mail to Drop & Stop was answered eventually & the basics sounded o.k. However, 57 cars are fairly low compared to 55-56 cars & I'm not sure I want a dropped front end, in part because in my durisdiction, British Columbia, my car is licensed & insured as a "stock" collector car. Safety upgrades are permited, but that does not include lowering the car.. Things to ponder.  Thanks anyway..  

Paul
62bigwindow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
You might have better luck calling Dave. He's a great guy and will go out of his way to get you on the right path. If I'm not mistaken I think you can get a kit that will retain stock height on your car.

Durham Missouri
Lg57
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Try Crites. They have a set of instructions detailing the parts necessary to convert to early 70's T'bird/ Cougar front disc brakes. I have this setup on my '57 and am pleased with it. Ride height is about the same as stock.
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
.Try Engineered Components  (ECI) in Connecticut.  They have a lot of conversion Kits and have been in business for a long time.  I have one of their kits on my 48 Ford for 20 years with no problems

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
When I saw your comment about your location the first thing that came to mind was scarebird. When I went to their site I discovered they've moved from Everett to Albuquerque, and are running a month behind. They list a 57 kit, but for 14" wheels you have to use a Granda wheel (which they name). They just make the brackets, and give you the parts list to buy locally. Still, they might have someone in Everett to receive it, and that's not that far south of Blaine. Good luck.

https://www.scarebird.com

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Lord Gaga
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Whatever you do, DON'T even think about using a Wilwood setup! Tried them on my '57...went back to drums! They might stop a Pinto but that's about all.

"FREE SAMPLE"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter