Profile Picture

8 Rear end

Posted By 3tree 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Hello ,new to the site.  Little back ground, last weekend  took my 55 out (Stock) and the rear end locked up doing about 55 mph.  I haven't taken it apart yet but is there any where to buy new gearing and not exactly sure on the gear ratio for an 8. 
Thanks
Dobie
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
3tree (8/29/2017)
Hello ,new to the site.  Little back ground, last weekend  took my 55 out (Stock) and the rear end locked up doing about 55 mph.  I haven't taken it apart yet but is there any where to buy new gearing and not exactly sure on the gear ratio for an 8. 
Thanks

Sorry to hear that. Your axle is indeed an 8" but it's not related to the later Ford 8" rear end. I'm not even sure who supplied them, possibly Dana. Parts are difficult to find but you might check with some driveline shops in your area that have been around for awhile, they may have parts or know where to get them. Otherwise you're looking at a rear end swap. The rear end out of a V8 Maverick or early Mustang supposedly bolts in and has the same lug pattern. Ranger pickup rears have also been used for this, but the pumpkin is offset to the left on those so to center it you will need the right side axle tube from a 2nd one.
Good luck!

miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Your best bet is probably to tear it down, see what's damaged, and come looking for parts here or at the Ford Barn. A lot of the seals and bearings appear to be available, not so much for the gear sets and carriers. Might also be worth a phone call to these guys, they're close to me and fairly well thought of. They don't list your application, but it would be worth a call.

https://www.ringpinion.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlfK7q8r91QIVFpN-Ch3xNg8bEAAYASAAEgK8U_D_BwE

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
carl
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Where are you located    Carl
3tree
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)

Thank you. I started taking it apart looks like the bearing disintegrated. I haven't tore the whole thing down yet to see other damage. 
3tree
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I live in Akron , Ohio area.  
carl
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I l
3tree (8/30/2017)
I live in Akron , Ohio area.  
I live in Circleville Ohio and I have a few 55,56 rear ends so if I can help you out let me know what you need  Carl

DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Not to change your ideas for stock replacement, but it's been known for years that 55's whined when stock and it was true of the 55 Sunliner we bought new. If you can get a later model 8" Ford out of a Maverick or Merc Comet I would do it. Just make sure it's complete with e-brakes and all. Good luck.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
55 Newbie
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
You might want to try this  https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/i-finished-my-8-8-rear-end-swap-on-my-54-customline.1098756/
MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I was lucky and found a Detroit Gear posi for my stock 56 rearend. Had it installed with new bearing and its has been quiet as a mouse for 10 years or better. No whine there.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

Reading This Topic

Site Meter