Profile Picture

Screw on oil Filter Adapter

Posted By Meandean 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I ordered the Dennis Carpenter screw on oil filter adapter for my 55 Fairlane.  272 Y Block
Got it on the engine block ok but the filter doesn't seem fit.  It won't screw on to the adapter.
I got the Motorcraft FL-1A.  Is that not the right filter?
If not, which one should I be using?

I did notice the kit was from China.  I hope it's not messed up.
Sandbird
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

You have the correct oil filter. In my opinion you'll be better off with a good used original adapter with a new gasket.
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Make sure the threads of the filter and adapter are not messed up.

Many of the Chinese adapters have the Word "TOP" stamped at the wrong location and if you install it so that "TOP" is at the top, it is actually upside down.  The hole or holes should be at the top.

Lawrenceville, GA
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
I know a lot of guys have no problems with the screw on filter adapters, but after installing two that leaked I went back to the old canister.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Meandean
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)

Never mind.  Operator error.

I didn't look at the graphics right.  Only took off the filter, not the plate underneath.  So the wrong end of the adapter fit perfectly into the plate but then the filter didn't fit because the adapter was actually backwards.

I honestly thought the adapter went on after you removed the canister.  I looked closely at the install graphic but not at all at the removal of the old system graphic.

Thanks all who chimed in.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter