Profile Picture

Do I Just Not Know How To Use a Multimeter?

Posted By Half-dude 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I'm trying to troubleshoot a battery drain issue with my 55, You leave the car a couple weeks with the battery plugged in the battery will drain, sometimes just one week will drain it, and according to the GEN light slowly getting brighter and brighter while driving at night the generator evidently isn't charging enough to keep up with the headlights I guess.

Anyway I'm trying to get a base reading with my multimeter and I looked on youtube to find out how to take the readings. My initial readings with the car running was at about 6.10v with the motor idling, and then when I turned the headlights and heater fan on it'd go down to 5.79v. I went for a drive and came back and the reading was about the same but here's the thing, I went to start it a few minutes later in my driveway and the battery is dead. Question is, if the battery is dead why is it still reading 6.7 volts on the meter? OR am I just completely misusing the meter?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2237b4e2-2be2-4d29-b949-a6c1.jpg
Sandbird
This post has been flagged as an answer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

Take it one step at a time if you are unsure.
First remove the yellow/black stripe wire from the bat terminal of the regulator, leave it disconnected (position it so it does not touch anything) and see if the gen light stays off. A disconnected wire won't burn anything up. If it stays off gives us good reason that this is the correct wire going to gen light. Next with the key off connect the yellow/black wire going to gen light to the Armature terminal on regulator. Connecting a light bulb is no different than probing with a test light which I've never burned anything up with a test light. The light should now be off when switch is off and on when ignition is on and go off when engine is running and charging.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter