Profile Picture

Best C4 Tranny for conversion

Posted By Rono 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
A local guy is selling a C4 out of a 79 Fairmont with a 200 cu.in. six cylinder. The tranny shifts fine and has recently been serviced with a new modulator and bands adjusted. Appears to also a shift kit. He's asking $200.00 for it, but is it the best year to use for a conversion with our Y Blocks? I have no immediate plans for it, but I know they are getting harder to find in good used condition.

Thanks,
Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
,Rono.  I saw your posting but was not able to put my hands on anything helpful in my collection of books.  Below are three links I saw on the Internet and scanned for content.  These may help you with evaluating which C-4 might be best to keep your eyes open for to use in the future.  I've listed the links in the order that I felt might be most helpful.

Click on the links below . . .
http://www.pigseye.com/sadie/trans/c4.htm
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/drivetrain/1305-how-to-understand-and-identify-automatic-transmissions/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Rzq5WO-MA

Hope this helps!   Smile
Regards,
Charlie

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Rono
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Thanks Charlie....A lot of good information there.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Based on the article in mustangsandfords.com, the best C4's are 1970 and later.  Also, depending on whether you plan a floor or column shift, get a comparable C4 because the shift arms on the trans's are different, although you may be lucky like me and get one with the shift arms that were up and down.. 

I did  C4 conversion on my 56 Bird and I'm very happy with it.

I would check out  a trans shop to see if the 6 cyl c4's were the same as the V8's. 

That said, I have a 48 Ford (302) with an earlier C4 and it has given me very good service

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

dbird
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Since the Y-block adapters are made by Flat-O, you might call Gene and ask him about the tranny. When I changed to a C4, he was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Don
prosycamore
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)Normally aspirated (39 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Looks like a nice deal. 
Pete 55Tbird
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
The Ford C4 started with a 5 bolt bellhousing and by 1965 it changed to a 6 bolt. The 65,66, and 67 C4 were the green dot. Normally started in second gear. From 1964 to 1969 the input shaft was 24 spline on each end ( the part that engages the T/Q ) 1970 was 26/24 spline. 1971 and later the input shafts are 26 spline on each end and a better choice of T/Q. V8 C4 have more clutch plates and steels. Remember these are all getting old and will need new seals so plan ahead. The C4 is very easy to rebuild, re new. Good luck Pete
junkyardjeff
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
When I buy C4s I try to get the pan filled versions,I heard they are a little heavier built then the case filled. I will be seeing if they are adaptable to the Y block soon and being pan filled they kind of look like a FOM.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
jw375
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Well I did it .. You know C4's are hard to find I found a rebuilt in Eugene,   for $200  I select it to use Flat-o Adapter ,  I know I need torque  Converter , the kick down cable I'm going to try to use stock column , I think Lo Kar  cable ,  Someone put one piece glass in it  I put electric windows in with the stock cranks , though really  I found out its easy to put new regulators in..    Over all I really like the stock 56 , but wide tires , no power steering & 3 on the tree in town  I selected to keep ford with ford though I'm a GMC man ..  so by the end of the month one old 56 will be back on the road and not on jack stands ..   

These old parts are getting harder and harder to find ..    I drove over two hours to get the C4 I found   3 , on crags  I presume you could go to a junk yard ..  or buy new for a few bucks ..  In any case I picked a path .. 
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
For the kick down rod in my 56 Bird (C-4) I used the stock 56 rod but had to lengthen it and add a different end to it to match the trans.  The engine and trans were out so it was pretty easy to do.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter