Profile Picture

side seals

Posted By paul2748 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Does any one use any kind of lube to insert the side seals?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Today @ 2:39:34 AM
I do not use any lubricant on the side seals.  Any lubricant would prevent any RTV being used to adhere to the lubricated surfaces.  To aid in the side seal installation, I’ll not bottom out the retainer to the block parting line surface and instead will only bring it down only enough so that the retainer is 1/16”-1/8” from being bottomed out.  A dollop of RTV is then placed in each slot.  Then using a small flat bladed screw driver, the seal retainer will be pried or pushed over just enough to open up the groove some more so the side seal can be more easily slid in place.  Once that side seal is down, the same will be done to the other side.  I’ll typically start the nails in place when the side seals are within 3/8”-1/2” of being flush with the retainer.   The nails go on the retainer side, not the block side of the side seals.  After that, the seal retainer will be pulled down and the two bolts tightened.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter