Profile Picture

Randy Gummelt Y-Block powered dragster.

Posted By Ted 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Some questions came up regarding the Randy Gummelt Y-Block powered dragster.  Here are some pictures.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1a190be0-d34b-4ef5-9714-69a0.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/01c92589-ad03-43bf-b80d-04ed.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/56231ec5-affd-4bf8-a93d-a2d1.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Will it ever run again? I know the chassis was wrong but it seems such a waste.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Daniel Jessup
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
MoonShadow (7/13/2017)
Will it ever run again? I know the chassis was wrong but it seems such a waste.

what happened? Give us the full story for those of us who could not make it.
EDIT: sorry, I think you mean that dragster has not run in quite some time, right?

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

The dragster hasn't run in many years. There were some team problems that didn't give Randy the support he needed. And then sadly he passes away at way too young an age. He was a serious hot $hit and is missed. Ted may know what its status is but I hate the idea of it just rotting away. It was a Y world record holder for a little while.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

Kahuna
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Boy
I'd sure like to know the current status myself
MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted Eaton may have some information. He was pretty involved with Randy.

Y's guys rule!

Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Randy passed away almost three years ago.  He was working on a blown Y powered drag car at the time of his passing.  That car is running but still lacks some wiring cleanup and miscellaneous brackets to finish up the car before it would be ready to run on a drag strip.  I’d call it about 95% complete at this point.  The car itself is a fresh painted ’56 Ford Club Sedan which has been stripped of all its chrome and now has fiberglass fenders, hood, doors, trunk deck, and bumpers.  The engine itself sounds stout and as an added bonus, it has nitrous oxide plumbed on top of the blower.

The Y powered dragster had been sitting in its trailer about six miles from me since Randy’s passing.  With the property it was sitting on now being up for sale, I was asked to bring the trailer to my place a couple months ago.  The dragster trailer hasn’t been registered since 2008 and with the keys to the various locks being missing, I cut off the padlocks to take a look inside.  Looks like a time capsule with the car still intact with all the driving paraphernalia still hanging in the trailer.  All the tools and spare parts and extra headers were there also.  At this point, it would take quite a bit of work in getting the car running again.  Besides the braided steel lines all needing to be replaced, all the SEMA date coded stuff (flywheel, belts, blower straps, etc) would all need to be updated.

The car will be taken early next month for display at the local museum at Baylor University.  Beyond that, there are no plans for it in the near future.

yalincoln
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
hey ted! do you have any pics. of the 56?

lincoln/merc. y-blocks &mel's                                                               bucyrus, ohio.
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

yalincoln (10/20/2017)
hey ted! do you have any pics. of the 56?

The ’56 Ford is holed up in a building where taking a good picture of it isn’t possible right now.  Here are pictures of the engine bay though.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/39cc5c5e-9941-43d1-9fe4-5863.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ee1cab0-6751-4f6a-b3e3-cd53.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/44f79c4c-2750-4dcf-9af2-011a.jpg

MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Man that would look so great in my garage. Dream on! What horsepower did he get with that 144/177 blower?

Y's guys rule!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter