Profile Picture

Vacuum Wipers

Posted By donselje 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Well the next plan of attack on the 55 Crown is the vacuum wipers, in the 13 mile trip home tonight in the rain they cycled 2 times- how can I get them to work better? I'm trying to leave it bone stock rite down to 6 volt & drum manual brakes yet. If I can get it to work as good as it was designed to back in 1955 that would be good enough for me. I can hear a vacuum sound under the dash when switch is on but it doesn't sound like a leak.
Half-dude
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Mitzi's original wipers weren't working either at first, you'd turn them on and the arms would raise maybe 2 inches and then stop. Same as in your case, you could hear the vacuum running with it turned on.

They probably just need to be lubed back up. Disconnect the hose under the hood that connects the wiper motor to the vacuum from the engine (I think most of them go down into the top of the fuel pump. The section that goes through the firewall is usually rubber) disconnect the end of the hose from the engine and pour some brake fluid down the hose. Then move the wipers left and right a few times by hand right there at the window. That'll turn the innards of the wiper motor and actually draw the brake fluid into the motor. The brake fluid will lubricate the leather/rubber paddle inside the motor and plumpen it back up. They'll usually shrink up over the years when not used and make the wipers not move.

If you need visual instructions there are videos showing this on youtube just search 'fixing vacuum wipers'
PF Arcand
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
First, is your Fuel Pump a dual diaphram unit? If not that's part of the problem. And often with age the paddle seal inside the wiper unit is dry & not sealing any longer. Also check the vacuum hoses for any leaks. There's a couple of ways to deal with the paddle seal issue, but I'll let someone else who's done it most successfully take over & finally there are people advertising in Hemmings Motor news that service vacuum wipers.

Paul
donselje
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)Supercharged (78 reputation)

Yep pump is a dual diaphragm. They work but very very slow - like half-dude said they raise about 2" then stop then a few more miles a inch more.... I will try dumping the brake fluid in. My dad got the car in 1970 & I'm sure the vacuum motor has never been out. Thanks guys!!
donselje
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yep dumped some brake fluid in let soak a while, cycled wipers a few times, drained brake fluid back out hose, did it a second time & they work PERFECT!!!!  Wow I was all set to take the wiper motor out & try to rebuild or buy a rebuilt or something, WOW - I spent the first year on this car just so I could drive it, this is my second year with it now & it has become a awesome daily driver - I can't get enough of it, the more stuff I get working again the more I want to drive it. Thank You!!!   
HazardTBird
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
If the windshield wiper motor in the 55 Vic is the same as a 56 T Bird the hardest part is getting the motor out of the car. Follow procedure given in Thunder Enlightning (by CASCO), I can't remember the volume #, and rebuilding the vacuum motor is very easy!

Hazard TBird

Reading This Topic

Site Meter