Profile Picture

292 V8 Ford motor in 1957 Ford Fairlane runs hot

Posted By Tut 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (8 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Been told it's the two middle exhaust ports must be cleaned out and must drill two new holes in head and block to fix problem have spent 5,000.00 already on this problem got riddled by local man .

is this the main problem per doc frohmader ? Before I spent another $$ on. Help please
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Nope.  That's not the fix.  The holes in the head and block do nothing but introduce a new place for cracks to start.  I've never heard of exhaust ports causing the engine to run hot.

What have you done so far?  What are you calling hot and why?

Lawrenceville, GA
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Is it boiling over?  Or is it the temperature gauge that shows it's hot.  These gauges are not the most accurate.  Get a thermometer and check the actual heat by sticking it in the coolant.  Or get one of those temperature guns.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Half-dude
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I'm just gonna put this out there since I was dealing with this for a LONG time.

1. ) Make sure your heat raiser is opening up when the engine is hot. Or is kept open all the time if you're not in a cold area of the country.
2. ) Make sure your timing is right.

Hope this helps. Smile
oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Are the Head Gaskets on the correct way?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Dusty55
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)First Time Poster (2 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
The upper front corners of both head gaskets should stick out about 3/8 inch past the corner of the head.            
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
You don’t mention if the engine is using or puking out any coolant.  If no coolant loss under any circumstance, then it’s technically not overheating.  More detail is needed in regards to the overheating.  When does the overheating occur?  Idling?  In slow traffic?  Highway speeds?

I go out of my way to plug the ‘drilled’ steam holes in the blocks so that’s likely not your problem.  Some contributing factors for overheating would include:

Head gasket orientation
Restricted exhaust system
Thermostat
Radiator cap
Radiator construction
Air flow through the radiator
Bypass hose
Ignition timing
Water pump impellor
Water pump speed
Fuel mixture
Valve adjustment
Gasoline quality
Compression ratio
Piston to wall clearance inadequate
Cylinder walls too thin

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

57RancheroJim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I understand that the primary throttle plates only need to expose the transfer slots enough to form a square looking opening and any further adjustment needed should be done with the secondaries. What I don't understand is why they made the primaries with a huge adjusting screw if there is only one correct setting and the secondary adjustment almost impossible to get to.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter