Profile Picture

Vally Pan Modifications

Posted By Richard 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
I know this has been covered, I couldn't find the search engine. Regardless I am replacing  the valley cover with the rear breather tube style.  I understand to get a tighter fit to drill holes for sheet metal screws.
I am thinking one near each corner and two space on each side.  I think tapping for small bolts would be better than sheet metal screws.  The valley cover is a tight fit between the heads at the intake flange. Should I just pop it in or grind a little radius on that sharp flange edge
Regarding PVC Valves:  I understand I can use Nappa help # 42324 gromet  Napa # 2-9200 PVC
I have a Holly 600 cfm double pumper manual choke. Do I run the PVC hose to  a vacuum port.  Is this all I need to do aside from blocking off the canister breather. Do you have to remove the threaded boss for the breather tube? 

The valve cover breathers are not functional

charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The PCV valve needs to attach to a PCV port. A PCV port is technically a vacuum port but it is designed to distribute crankcase gases evenly whereas a regular vacuum port will not, which can lead to tuning problems.

Most modern carburetors have a PCV port.  If yours does not, there are carb spacers with ports, or you can also drill and tap a spacer for a port.

Since your engine never had a PCV valve, therefore there is not a correct valve available, and with a 600 double pumper, I assume it has other modifications, you should consider an adjustable PCV valve.  They are expensive, but it is the only way to get one that is right for your combination.  http://mewagner.com/

Lawrenceville, GA
oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
I did the Valley Pan on mine using Machine Screws. I think I did 3 on each side and One on each end. I was surprised at how easy Cast Iron drills and taps. Just don't get to close to the Edge. I didn't trim the Pan.I think it will fit without trimming. Just turn it the correct way until it drops into place.Don't run the PCV Hose to back of Engine just because its convenient. You will make the rear Cylinders lean. Should go the Carburetor as Charlie mentions or get a plate or drill and Tap for a fitting near center of Intake Manifold. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Ford had for many years a plate between the intake and the carb that had a nipple on it for the PVC.  You should be able to find one of these. 

This is one on ebay    No. 122517683931.  Search Ford carburator plate or Holley Spacer

If you can't find one, the TBirds parts suppliers have a kit, but its kinda pricey.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Richard
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

Thanks for all the info.  One point is still in limbo.  The threaded boss for the down pipe mounting.  Should that be removed
Richard
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
It will probably be in the way.  Easy enough to check when you have the valve in hand.

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Here’s the link that will get you to the ‘search’ function.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost113024.aspx

That’s a ‘Yes’ for removing the threaded post within the hole where you’d like to put the grommet and PCV valve.  You might want to plug the remaining small hole so oil doesn’t have the opportunity to shoot up that small remaining hole straight up into the PCV valve.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

John Didde
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)Supercharged (84 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I bought my aluminum valley cover from John Mumford, then I purchased my carburetor port which fits under the carburetor, pcv valve, hose and block off plate for the crankcase breather  from Concourse, perfect fit. Not much clearance between the thermostat housing and the valley cover, but doesn't seem to cause any problems, used the 2 bolts to mount the valley cover. Works great. john
Richard
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for all the information.   I would like to use all of Johns products but budget has stay for now.
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

I bought  one of John's valley covers for the  312 in my 54 Ford and a friend of mine bought another one for his 292 in a Bird..  On both the thermostat housing hit the valley cover and had to be modified in order for the housing to clear.

While they are very nice pieces, the other thing that bothered me was the angle of the oil filler tube.  In leans quite a bit more than the stock valley and causes interference with the rocker cover if you want to use the big stock cap, especially in a TBird if you want to have it look stock. 

John Didde (6/15/2017)
I bought my aluminum valley cover from John Mumford, then I purchased my carburetor port which fits under the carburetor, pcv valve, hose and block off plate for the crankcase breather  from Concourse, perfect fit. Not much clearance between the thermostat housing and the valley cover, but doesn't seem to cause any problems, used the 2 bolts to mount the valley cover. Works great. john

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter