Profile Picture

Inside door handle clip tool

Posted By junkyardjeff 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Anyone know when they went made the handles to work with the tool that is normal now,my 55 takes the style like a pliers and what a pain so since I had to remove the door panel again I ground the handles so the newer style clip tool will work. If repop handles are made for that tool I think I am going to buy a set.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
My long time friend and mechanic used to heat and put a tight bend in a welding rod, and the smooth the end. It would catch the end of the old u clips and not snag the upholstery. I still have one and use it instead of the "plier" type. I've got one of those from the 60's but rarely use it. Only on my buddy's scrub.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
mrmike
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)Supercharged (211 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
 Door Handle Spring Remover Pliers Tool Window Crank Clip Removal  This is the tool I have. It works like a charm on taking the clips off and putting them back on my 54 Merc.  This one is on ebay for 15 bucks.

Door Handle Spring Remover Pliers Tool Window Crank Clip Removal

$14.25Buy It NowFree Shipping
  • 15 watching
  • |
  • 37 sold
For removing spring clips that retain door handles and window molding. Jaws slip under handle to pull clip straight out. Pliers tips can be used to snap spring clip into place during installation.
MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 28 minutes ago
I've used a small screwdriver with a hook bent into the end but you have to be careful of upholstery. An old trick was a women's nylon stocking. Wrap it around under the handle and rotate it. Would snag the clip and pull it out. Hmm do women still have nylon stockings?

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
dbird
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I tried various thing for an article in my local club's newsletter, and found a small hook tool made it easy to snag the end of the clip and pull it off worked well on the old style handles.  The hook was part of a very high quality 4 piece set from Harbor Freight, I think I had a free coupon, but they're only $2.   https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/precision-hand-tools/4-piece-pick-and-hook-set-66836.html  

My wife offered me a whole drawer full of pantyhose which tried with no luck, but it seems like it should work.

For the newer style handles, the correct tool is the only way to go.

Don
'55 'Bird and 56 F100 still in progress.

56_Fairlane
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I've always used the largest size paper clip straightened out and bent a small hook on one end with pliers. The wire is stiff enough grab hold of the clip.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
junkyardjeff
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I have the pliers type tool but is too small to work good with the window handle but will not have this problem again since its easy to grind the handles to make the more modern too work,I now have to get the drivers side handles off to do that modification and replace the window regulator if I can find the extra one I have.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio

Reading This Topic

Site Meter