Profile Picture

1955 T-Bird intake upgrades

Posted By 55ebird 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (99 reputation)Supercharged (99 reputation)Supercharged (99 reputation)Supercharged (99 reputation)Supercharged (99 reputation)Supercharged (99 reputation)Supercharged (99 reputation)Supercharged (99 reputation)Supercharged (99 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I'm going to be replacing the original T-Pot carb, intake manifold and distributor in my stock '55 T-Bird. The new parts i have are the following:
1. 1957 intake manifold - ECZ 9425 B
2. Summit Carburetor M2008, 500 cfm, Square Bore, 4-Barrel, Electric Choke, Vacuum Secondary,
3. 1957 T-Bird distributor - FEJ-12127-A2

This all seems like a pretty basic "bolt-on" process. However, I have two questions before i get started:
1. Will i need anything for connecting the stock 1955 throttle linkage to the Summit carb?
2. Will the stock 1955 T-Bird air cleaner work on the Summit carb? If not, what do you recommend for an air cleaner?
3. Are there other issues i need to be thinking about regarding these part upgrades?

Thanks for your help,

Steve
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I have a suggestion for "Other issues."

The throttle bores in the intake are probably smaller than the bores in the carburetor.  The carburetor probably came with a 4-hole gasket.  If not, get a 4-hole gasket, set it on the intake using bolts or studs to align it, scribe the intake and open the bores to that dimension.  A die grinder makes a pretty easy job of this.  If you don't have access to one, a Dremel also does the job.  It just takes longer.  If you want to take it a step farther, make it two ovals, like most aftermarket manifolds.  And if you want to take it a little farther, do a little port work where you have made these modifications, and a port clean up at the cylinder head flanges.

Lawrenceville, GA
DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
You may need to make an adjustible rod from the stock linkage which will bolt to the manifold. Others here may know about the correct hole on the carb to go to or whether you may need to drill one. Using that Carb is very common on Y-blocks from what I've read here and guys are happy. The Ford stock Holley of 55 has the same air cleaner diameter as the new Summit. I would take care and measure the stud carefully as to not hit the hood. I would put the stock air cleaner on and close the hood with no stud to see if it clears. Other objects can be added until you have the known clearance. If using all thread make sure to use a locking nut. Good luck. Show some photos when you are done.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Genuinerod
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
These upgrades are good and I think will improve your car big time.  I would install pertronix in the distributor.  This will improve starting and no maintenance.  You did not mention if your car has been upgraded to 12 volts or still have the 6 volt system.  I'm not sure how this will effect your 12 volt electric choke.   You may have to go to the 57 air cleaner as it was made to fit the lower profile of the new 57 holley carb.  Linkage should be easy to hook up as the summit carb is good for auto's and manual transmissions.  You will have modify your fuel connection as it will be on the other side. 
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I doubt you will be able to use the stock air cleaner on the new carb.  The tops are entirely different.  If you want it to look likea stock Tbird air cleaner, get a 57 air cleaner.  it should bolt on as the top design is for a 57 and later Holley, which I assume the Summit carb is too.

Otherwise, almost any air cleaner designed for the Holley top should work.  I prefer the 14 inch air cleaners for it's
 large air intake, but it will have to be thin because of hood clearance.

If your Tbird is an automatic, you should be able to use the stock kickdown

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter