Profile Picture

'62 292 Unibody mystery stumble

Posted By A Seabee 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I got this old truck out of a farm field several months ago, and have finally got it running pretty well. I have replaced the fuel tank, lines, carburetor, cap, rotor, wires, points, plugs, condenser, coil, engine oil and filter. I've checked the compression dry and wet. It had 2 dead holes, but was able to get compression back with a valve adjustment. It starts and idles/revs really nice. has 21 inches of mercury vacuum at idle. it does not have any cooling problems.I can drive around the block 20 times and it won't stall or die. on trip number 21 or if I accelerate hard, it usually stalls or stumbles/run rough. I'll pull over, open the hood, look things over, start it back up and it idles fine, revs fine. another 20 laps, and it may or may not die and restart. on one of these trips I found the through connector on the firewall had two pin connectors rotted completely away. I fixed them by just cutting and jumpering with wire and butt connectors. I also replaced the battery cables and cleaned/tightened the body to engine ground. I have 9 volts through the resistor wire to the coil when running. I tried jumping a full 12 volts straight to the coil and driving. didn't make any difference. Sometimes, not always, at idle there's a pop or light backfire through the exhaust. .I also checked for timing chain slop while I was adjusting the valves. How in the world can an engine with 21 inches of vacuum that idles nice and drives nice all of the sudden run like crap and then just as suddenly run fine again?  The engine has a cast iron 4 bbl intake, new Holley 600 carb and old rusty headers with glass packs.
oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Try replacing the Condensor again with a made in USA One if possible. Keep hearing about bad offshore made Condensors going bad even new. Also check the braided ground wire inside distributor and make sure its not broken or not making good ground. Just a couple of suggestions. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Vic Correnti
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
Coils act up when hot too.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

Talkwrench
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Im thinking as above ^^^    Sound like the engine is in great condition if you have 21 Hg ..

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
Lord Gaga
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Fuel pump. Have you checked pressure and volume?

"FREE SAMPLE"
A Seabee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)

I have a clear glass inline filter between the fuel pump and carb. it's always full of clean fuel,,,but no, haven't checked pressure and volume.assumed from filter full it was good. will check tho, thanks as far as the condenser goes, the new one was NAPA, the old one was unknown, both seem to work the same. coil is new. how hot is "hot"? i can put my hand on it after running. it's hot but not burn my hand hot.
Bobwanna
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)Supercharged (303 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Seems fuel related? A bit out there, but try running with gas cap removed. They can rust on the inside and drop flakes of rust so that they become un-vented This could cause a fuel starvation situation - B

AKA   Bob-93021
Vic Correnti
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
I had a similar problem once and it was a bronze fuel filter in the carb behind the inlet. It would fix itself after a while. I am thinking it was a Holley, I don't have much experience with Holley, more of a Edelbrock guy. It should be easy to replace, just pull the line and fitting, I remember blowing through it thinking it was ok but it wasn't.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

Joe-JDC
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I have had a similar problem also, which turned out to be a new filter would fill up with trash accumulated in the lines after running for a while.  When the engine was turned off after stumbling and quitting, I would look things over, and it would start fine, run fine for a while until the trash in the filter closed off the filter again with pressure in the line.  The sediment would settle each time the fuel flow stopped, and it would start up and run fine after the sediment settled back in the filter.  Changed the filter again, and problem went away for months, and eventually changed it again with no further issues.  Joe-JDC

JDC
A Seabee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I'm leaning towards fuel pressure and or volume now myself. I have a section of hard fuel line between the tank and pump that is original. it's steel and happens to be the lowest point in the fuel system. quite possible that it's rusted or clogged in some way where enough fuel passes to keep the bowl full at idle and low speeds, but can't keep up under higher loads. gonna try bypassing that section tonight.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter