Profile Picture

FOR SALE 312 ECZ Crankshaft

Posted By cos 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 hours ago
Hello  Have 30-30 312 crankshaft for sale. It was from local machine shop that has been business since 1950s. It was ground and put in inventory in the 80s. Pretty dirty but in a box no surface rust. Measured out dead on, thrust bearing has  about .004 end play with new bearing insert.  Key ways look good.Thinking $400 plus shipping. But I have no idea if this is too much. Box is 9x9x32 inch long. #60 pounds from 97424 Oregon. I don't know how to do pictures. Bill  bcosler@msn.com
cos
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)Supercharged (395 reputation)

Hello  I have had no interest in crank. I assume it is priced to high. I will try at $300 plus shipping. Bill  Oregon
NoShortcuts
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Bill.  My casual following of 312 cranks on eBay indicates that a $300 'Buy-It-Now' price should provide a sale although you may have to list it more than once to reach a buyer.

IF you have not had the crank magnetically inspected, I would recommend having it done with a machine shop receipt to show for it.  My recollection is that the cost on having the mag test is less than $50.

In working with the machine shop, I would steer them to pay particular attention to the crank snout connection at the first main bearing surface and the radius-es related to the first crank throw.  Yes, the entire crank should be checked, but my understanding is that these particular area are more prone to problems . . .

Some may hesitate at the crank having been turned .030 under-size at both the mains and rod journals.  Retaining the quality of the main bearing and rod journal radius-es is important for y-block crankshaft integrity.

Hope this helps!   Smile 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
I’ve no issue with Ford crankshafts that are turned to the extreme for undersize bearings.  As a general rule for the crankshaft journals that are turned more heavily, the selling value does reduce.  I sell a good number of 428 Ford cranksahfts and the STDxSTD cranks that will grind to 010x010 will bring top dollar while 030X030 crankshafts don’t bring much at all.  I’ve been as far as 0.050” under on the Y journals and I see where 0.060” undersize bearings are still available on occasion.  When grinding the 312 cranks down to fit the 292 blocks, those particular main journals are being turned 0.125” smaller and that poses no issue with the metallurgy or surface hardness of the journals.

On my end, the crankshafts are worth more before grinding.  Once ground, there is very little room for bearing clearance adjustment and you are stuck with how the crankshaft was turned undersize unless regrinding it again.  The fix for a crankshaft that is improperly turned or ground on the ‘small’ side is to simply regrind it again to the next available undersize bearing(s).  Polishing can sometimes fix a crankshaft that is ground on the ‘large’ side of the specs without regrinding it to the next available undersize.  My preference is to pre-install the bearings in the mains and rods and then grind the crankshaft appropriately for the desired clearance.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

cos
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hello  Had crank remeasured. The first time the shop said its was dead on but I did not write it down. Mains are 2.594  rods are 2.1586  plus or minus .0004. Thanks for comments.  Bill  Oregon    Well, still no interest in crank. I discussed having crankshaft cracked checked with a custom crank grinder. He told me unless crank has signs of spun bearing, heat coloring or nicks from broken rods they normally  do not check.  He charges 120 dollars for a standard regrind. I will lower price to 250 dollars plus shipping if anyone is interested.  Will post a new price later.Bill Oregon

Reading This Topic

Site Meter