Profile Picture

1955 Tbird steering wheel

Posted By rexbd 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I am on the home stretch in getting the Tbird done.  My steering wheel is a complete mess and I really need to find another and can paint to match the red interior.  I have looked high and low and can't come up with anything.  I found one place that strips the plastic and starts over but its crazy expensive.  I good used wheel would be fine just cant find one.

Appreciate the help as always.  Plan is to reveal and give the car to my daughter 4th of July
MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
If its a matter of cracks and gaps the steering wheel repair kits seem to work.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
CASCO, the parts vendor, has a steering wheel restoration service.  Maybe you want to talk with them

You might talk with them about a used wheel, as well as Hills Restoration (Ohio).

A couple of other names that might have a used wheel

Adrian  570-709-0823
  Tony (Tony's Classics  515-263-3606

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

dbird
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I'm with Paul, many of the Thunderbird parts suppliers have used parts. Besides Hill's, you could also try Prestige or Minter. 
rexbd
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
could not restore the wheel so did the next best thing.  I cleaned it and painted it and installed a leather steering wheel rap that you sew onto the wheel.  It looks great and masks the problem.  One issue in putting the wheel back is I cant see where the spring goes if any where.  I see it on the 56 and 57 diagrams but 55 doesn't seem to indicate they use a spring.  Is that correct?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter