Need Help Fabricating "Steering Stops" For My 56 Customline

Posted By shadetree2187 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Need Help Fabricating "Steering Stops" For My 56 Customline

Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I upgraded the brakes on my 56 Customline to Granada discs but have now developed tire rub on the inner fender wells.  Has anyone else encountered this problem? Has anyone fabricated "stops" to correct this issue?  The spindles don't look like they have a good place on them to have a bolt or other stop point to contact.  I don't think this spindle originally had these steering stops but not sure.  I couldn't find any info on this.  Thanks
Rono
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Are you using Granada spindles?

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

shadetree2187
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)

Yes. 1978 Granada spindles, rotors and calipers.
Rono
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Shadetree;

I don't know if you are using someone's disk brake conversion kit for our year Fords or not, but the Granada spindles need to be reamed to allow proper seating of the upper and lower ball joints. If you just bought the 78 Granada spindles with the rotors and calipers but they are not reamed to fit the ball joints, that could be the cause of your problem.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

shadetree2187
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Done all of that.  I will check spring height to see if they have sagged.  I think my options are pretty limited.  This is a pretty common conversion and I thought finding a fix for this rubbing issue would be easy. Guess I've got something else going on or something a little different.  Thanks for the suggestions. See you at the Emmett Show and Shine.
62bigwindow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I have the Versailles spindles with Aerostar coil springs and I haven't had any trouble. What size tire are you running? My car has 670-15's.

Durham Missouri
shadetree2187
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I just put on 215/75-15s trying to get a little more height from the 205s I had on. I think the 1" taller tires just made the problem worse.  I just ordered new springs. The originals are on it and they may have just worn out. HA - After all these years.  I'm not discounting the need to go back to the 205/75s to get a little more clearance if the new springs don't give me all I need.
hotdoger1
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (45 reputation)Normally aspirated (45 reputation)Normally aspirated (45 reputation)Normally aspirated (45 reputation)Normally aspirated (45 reputation)Normally aspirated (45 reputation)Normally aspirated (45 reputation)Normally aspirated (45 reputation)Normally aspirated (45 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago

I had the same trouble fixed it today. what is happening is the arm on tie rod is going over the top of the A frame stop. I used a 1 inch wide flat iron 3 inch long and welded it on top of factory stop. be sure it goes above stop at least 3/4 inch. it worked for me

Reading This Topic

Site Meter