Profile Picture

Loosening The Distributor

Posted By Half-dude 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Whenever it comes to messing with the distributor I sometimes wish I had a straight 6 instead. The distributor is in SUCH a crummy place on the Yblock I swear.

Am I missing something or is there some trick to loosening the distributor? I know where the bolt is that I have to loosen and I'm even using one of those curved distributor bolt extensions but even then there isn't enough room to turn the bolt as the extention hits up against the spark plug harness back there. I mean, should you HAVE to remove the whole linkage back there just to have room? Or is there a trick to it? You know what, it's that vacuum diaphragm that really makes it difficult.
Doby
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I use a socket on an extension, a swivel adapter and the braille method. Still a PITA but at least you have clearance to loosen the hold-down bolt.
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 51 minutes ago
I use a regular box end wrench but I don't have any linkage in the way.  It's a pretty direct shot on my truck.

Lawrenceville, GA
56_Fairlane
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I've tried to use a distributor wrench but without much success. The one I have is for a different engine. I imagine there should be one that would work.
Image result for distributor wrench

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 51 minutes ago
If you can weld and bend, it will be easy enough to make a Y-Block specific distributor wrench.

Lawrenceville, GA
57RancheroJim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 10 days ago
Maybe a crows foot?
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/876eddb4-69a4-4166-8159-959b.jpg
Half-dude
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

57RancheroJim (4/20/2017)
Maybe a crows foot?
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/876eddb4-69a4-4166-8159-959b.jpg

Maybe, I always find those wanting to pop off on me. And with the distributor so close to the pit of no return.. I'm weary.
Half-dude
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Doby (4/20/2017)
I use a socket on an extension, a swivel adapter and the braille method. Still a PITA but at least you have clearance to loosen the hold-down bolt.

Ive never heard of the braille method.. unless you're merely meaning that you feel for the bolt rather then see it lol.

A swivel extension.. that's actually a pretty good idea.. I should try that.
Doby
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (14 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Yup, feel for the bolt. You can cheat a little if you have an inspection mirror.
Half-dude
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Well I tried the swivel extension, sadly it would have worked amazingly YET.. the swivel and the socket can't both fit underneath the distributor so alas there's no room... I suppose you must have used the swivel extension with a crows foot.
I actually found the best way it loose was just with a tiny ratchet, combined with the distributor tool once the bolt was cracked.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter